adding spectacles to an existing main

basil421

Visit site
A loop of rope is my other option., maybe i will give that a go first.

At the moment there is no reefing system, so i am just working through the prices and options. The main has reefing cringles but there are no ramshorns, lines, blocks or anything on the boom. The previous owner just used a bit of old rope to tie in the reefs. I sail singlehanded mostly and need to make it quicker and easier.

If you have no sheaves on your boom it may be worth considering a slab reefing kit which can be attached to the side of the boom. I think Barton Marine do them although other manufacturers may also.

rob2

Visit site
Why are you thinking of taking them off?

Well, with the reefing line through one of the rings, the tack cringle is now about six inches higher off the boom then when the line ran through the cringle itself. Of course, the line through the cringle at the clew is the same as before, so at least it means the boom is slightly raised when reefed.

I thought that spectacles were intended to allow you to hook onto both ramshorns making the whole area neater and with a nice central pull. Mind you, as so many sailmakers don't measure the fittings before making the sail, I guess many just don't fit...? I can't imagine why in my case the sailmaker added something that to my mind doesn't suit the way I reef the sail and wasn't asked for.

Rob.

Lodesman77

Visit site
I suspect there are too many variations to generalise - my particular setup is slab reefing, all at the mast. The spectacles are as short as possible, 2-3 inches of webbing which means that only one ring can be used on the horns, and the cringle is held only just above the boom. It's easier to get on than putting the cringle directly onto the horns, which are quite small anyway, and there's some movement when it's being tensioned from different directions. Once it is on and the halyard is tensioned then the reefing line from the clew (which runs through the boom and not near the tack) is tensioned seperately.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Well, with the reefing line through one of the rings, the tack cringle is now about six inches higher off the boom then when the line ran through the cringle itself. Of course, the line through the cringle at the clew is the same as before, so at least it means the boom is slightly raised when reefed.

I thought that spectacles were intended to allow you to hook onto both ramshorns making the whole area neater and with a nice central pull. Mind you, as so many sailmakers don't measure the fittings before making the sail, I guess many just don't fit...? I can't imagine why in my case the sailmaker added something that to my mind doesn't suit the way I reef the sail and wasn't asked for.

Rob.

One would not put the reef line though the ring
Shackle a block to the ring & pass the reef line through that
Peopleopften complain about single line reefing but have probably not thought it through
Re the length of luff you may find it forces your outer end of the boom up a bit but that is often an advantage. However a sailmaker should be able to move the spectacle fastening up a bit fairly cheeply

JimC

Visit site
I assumed that since there were two, it was intended that you would put one over each horn when reefing

This exact question has been dealt with in another post further down the page headed "single line reefing"

Back at the reefing, and a question about the "spectacles" that were mentioned earlier in this thread. When using the spectacles are both rings put on the ramshorns i.e. one on each side so the sail is pulled down centrally over the boom, or is only one ring used? I presume the latter as, if the former, the luff cringle wouldn't pull down to boom level because of the bulk of the folded sail on top of the boom. Just looking for clarification.

Only one ring on whichever side it falls most easily - uphill probably falls off less.

xeitosaphil

Visit site
A loop of rope is my other option., maybe i will give that a go first.

At the moment there is no reefing system, so i am just working through the prices and options. The main has reefing cringles but there are no ramshorns, lines, blocks or anything on the boom. The previous owner just used a bit of old rope to tie in the reefs. I sail singlehanded mostly and need to make it quicker and easier.

When I used to have a H22 and sailed singlehanded, as I do now, I used to use " S " shaped hooks
http://www.rwo-marine.com/products/product.php?subprod=Hooks Part No R8440

which were attached to lines which led to the bottom of the mast then via organizers back to the cockpit. When raising the Main they were installed in the Luff cringles ready for reefing. When need to reef, take up toppling lift, release halyard but keep tension on- pull down Luff reefing pennant to pre marked length, or till cringle is level with Rams horn- make fast. Take in leach pennant to get rid of surplus sail and tension foot. Job done from the safety of the cockpit.
To shake out, take up toppling lift, release reefing pennants- re hoist Main.
Got the idea from reading a USA article called Fly- a-Way reefing
Seemed to work for me with no problems, without too much added expence