Adapter CAV to Screw on filter

onenyala

Visit site
When I changed the CAV filter I did not change the top O ring between the cartridge and the head of the assembly as due to the position I could not see what I would be doing.
Does the large O ring come out easily and when putting in the new one does it seat in and stay in position as you push the new cartridge filter up the spigot to seat on the O ring ?

pvb

Visit site
There's no wonder people have trouble with CAV filters when they don't even know where the seals go!

For the definitive instructions, see pages 27-30 of this publication. It looks like it was printed by Caxton, but it shows how the common filter/glass bowl CAV unit should be serviced.

david_bagshaw

Visit site
When I changed the CAV filter I did not change the top O ring between the cartridge and the head of the assembly as due to the position I could not see what I would be doing.
Does the large O ring come out easily and when putting in the new one does it seat in and stay in position as you push the new cartridge filter up the spigot to seat on the O ring ?

I always use a pair of fine nose pliars, put the separated points into the exposed surface, ie the one that the filter normally rests on, push up into the rubber and squeeze, it creates a nice loop which is easily gripped by finger for removal. Carefully wipe the lid and insert new rubber, run finger round to ensure it is nicely settled in its groove. they usually stay up there, however with a new spigot o ring fitted, (which is quite a stretch, however I find having wiped it in diesel it rolls over the spigot easily, where as if done dry there is danger of damaging it or pinging it to the bilge. use the pliar pinch method here to, so it doesnt damage/ scratch the aliminium.) I find the easy way of keeping both up there is to fit the new filter! then holding the filter on while fittting the lower bowl, & finally the bolt.

We have the double filter block,on the main engines so with twin engine and one of the gennys having tthis filter, supose I have become a dab hand at an easy change

Unfortunately I have found the cheapest non genuine cav filters often dont come with a full set of rings

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Just by way of a postscript on this. been back to the SSL site. They have a good photo of the replacement ( Nigel) £19.21 SFA 11 this clearly ( I hope) shows the spigot where the thumb sized O ring should go Up inside the cap and out of sight from above so I guess you just have to feel it into position!!
I have started another thread concerning the return pipe which looks like a real mares nest on mine

I hope my post above covers sufficiently.

Re the return

Dont forget there is (on all the ones I have seen) or might be a small bleed hole from the top of the filter chamber to the return, to ensure the filter is maintained full of fuel and not have an air pocket above it. So the spill rail and pump return if fitted meeting up here is on purpose. Some times this bleed is combined with a low pressure control relief valve.

onenyala

Visit site
There's no wonder people have trouble with CAV filters when they don't even know where the seals go!

For the definitive instructions, see pages 27-30 of this publication. It looks like it was printed by Caxton, but it shows how the common filter/glass bowl CAV unit should be serviced.

If you were replying to my post you obviously didn't read it properly. The question I asked was 'was the O ring 'held' in the seating groove in the head of the assembly ?'

pvb

Visit site
If you were replying to my post you obviously didn't read it properly. The question I asked was 'was the O ring 'held' in the seating groove in the head of the assembly ?'

I wasn't replying to your post.

But, to answer your question, the O ring is a snug fit in the groove on the central spigot. When the filter is pushed on, the O ring stays in place in its groove and goes into the central tube of the filter to seal it.

Talbot

Visit site
I hate the cav filters. If you have the glass bowl, you dont get a replacement O ring, and they are a pain to seal. I replaced mine with racor and have been very happy since.