Adam, Resident Lock and Weir Keeper, Cookham

capnfishy

Visit site
After 23 years service at Cookham Lock, Adam retires this week and will move to the Kent coast. He has been an exemplary keeper imho and will be missed by many of us who boat on this part of the Thames. I think it appropriate to mention also his wife Kim who led the campaign to stop the sale and lease of lock houses in 2008 and caused the EA to reconsider the plan.

I for one wish them a long and happy retirement.

Last edited:

DogsBody

Visit site
Best wishes for a happy retirement from me too, he has always been friendly and very helpful when I've spoken to him over the years.

I was hoping to see Adam on my way through his lock at the weekend to say goodbye but missed him, I believe a card was posted to him from the Bray Cruiser Club members though.

captain tomas

Visit site
i would like to add my thank you and appreciation for the friendly service Adam has given over the years, often in trying times eg witness the intimidation of lock staff over selling Lock houses.
I know he is hoping to secure a less stressful position after he moves to Kent and I wish Kim and Adam every success for their future.
Whoever takes on Cookham will have a difficult job keeping up to Adams standards.

NEB

Visit site
Best wishes from me as well. He used to give me the key for the gate so I could drive the van up to the lock side whenever one of our boats broke down there.
I can remember that mad Boxer dog racing me back to the gate !!

byron

RIP
Visit site
This all makes me feel so old. I remember Adam on his first day on the job it was at Cleve Lock. I also recall the upset a week or so later when he 'nicked' the local Farmer (Mr Bishop) for having an unlicensed boat. The boat in question being a couple of oil drums lashed together.
He and I always got on well but I never ceased to extract the urine about that incident.

Chill

Visit site
Best wishes Adam and Family from all on Licence to Chill, will always remember his words "the bridge always wins"

ianc1200

Visit site
Doesn't seem so long ago he was taking over from Jim. Best of luck Adam for the future, and thanks for help at club (TVBC) weekends on the island.