ACR EPIRB - Battery Cost

JFowler

Visit site
Further to my earlier post my EPIRB needs it's battery replacing (after 5 years) so i thought i'd get a 'local' quote. The nearest ACR agent is in Barcelona and has quoted 309euro to replace the battery only - no carrage included.
This seems mad!!
Does anyone know what it should cost- what would i pay in UK?

Thanks,
John

Sandyman

Visit site
Seems a lot of dosh just to replace a battery. Has anyone ever opened one up to see what type/ size of battery they take ? and whats involved ?
I note there is a label that says guaranteed void if opened but as mine is now 4 years old it's out of guarantee by now, at least I assume it is.

Suppose what I am really saying is, is this just another rip-off for something we could quite easily do ourselves for a few pounds ? Paying through the nose for a monkey to remove four screws, slide out a battery & put a new one in and re-screw case.........thats 140 quid than you !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knowing how the marine industry works I wouldn't be surprised.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
Will they replace it at all is the question? see below.

"Dear Practical Sailor,

I own an ACR Satellite 406 EPIRB, Product No. 2758, Category II/Class 2. This unit is manually deployable. A date stamped on the side of the unit reads Sept 15, 1997. A sticker on the same side reads Serial No 5990, Date: 9605.

On April 13, 2006, I had the battery in this EPIRB replaced at my local ACR service center at a cost of $222.38. A statement on the back of the EPIRB reads “Battery must be replaced after emergency use or by: 07/2011.”

Yesterday I happened to be in my local ACR service center and they kindly checked out my EPIRB using their computer based system. It immediately passed all tests with flying colors.

Upon completion of the successful testing I was informed that after the battery theoretically expires in July of 2011, they will not be able to install a new battery as ACR will not permit this, the contention being that the EPIRB has lived out it’s useful life as a piece of electronic gear and therefore can no longer be placed in service any longer. If I wish to continue having an EPIRB aboard my vessel, I will need to purchase a new unit! "

JFowler

Visit site
I've now been quoted £200 incl vat but excl carriage by Sartech, to install a new battery and reprogramme- it seems the units need reprogramming after the battery is fitted, which would prevent a diy job.
That's the best price i've had & it seems that a bit like liferaft servicing, if you want to maintain the unit in service there is no alternative but to payup.

shaxi

N/A
Visit site
That's the best price i've had & it seems that a bit like liferaft servicing, if you want to maintain the unit in service there is no alternative but to payup.

yes , if the cost is reasonable that will be fine , thanks for your recommendation !:)

g.php

Sandyman

Visit site
Ive had a look round at a number of website concerning EPIRB battery replacement.

Most start by saying DIY is possible, BUT, then go on to put the frighteners on by explain the terrible dangers and hazards of DIY. Even saying that although it has a built in self test, you cannot rely on this & you may put yourself in danger should it not work when needed in a life & death situation etc etc etc.

What needs re-programming ? Your MMSI No ? That leads to a number of other questions.

The more I see of this the more I smell a stitch-up & guaranteed repeat business for the manufacturers.

rickym

yachtgalene.blogspot.co.uk
I bought an Ocean signal with a 5 year battery (user replacable). Installing the battery was just a question of pushing it into the main body of the unit (keyed so you cannot get it wrong) and tightening an allen screw (key provided) to hold it on place. In 5 years time I trust replacement will be as simple!