AC/DC?

cynthia

Visit site
Can half and halves join - please? Home up for sail (but another UK base found), boat nearly in the water, notice handed in (both).

Plans:

6 month aboard, 6 months UK.

Problems:

Finally fitting out of the boat (inc. fitting inner forestay, mast for aerials, checking stability curve once bimini etc. installed + 1000 other jobs). By the way guys, selected a cruising chute rather than a spinni. at this stage - thanks for the advice.
Crossing Biscay.
Communications - phone, computer (which is cheapest, which is most efficient?)
Finding a safe storage area over winter.
Health insurance.
Kids (well young adults, we'll miss 'em like mad, but know they're great and adult and independent and ....................)

Departure date:
June - to Ireland then across Biscay.
July (back at work for 2weeks, 4 days).
July 18th - released from all work ties. Less money, but lots more freedom.

Comments on some or all of the above welcome.

Thanks.

ccscott49

Visit site
Heaqlth insurance, if you intend to return to the UK for 6 months, a multitrip health insurance from pantanieus would suffice, if you are in range of GSM mobiles, buying a chip from the country ou are in is the cheapest way of phoning, linked to a laptop for E mails or when you are in port, internet cafe. cruising chute good idea, less hassle than a spinnie, especially with a snuffer. I doubt a bimini is going to affect your stability, unless you leave it up in a storm. Anything else please ask.

summerwind

Visit site
This may be a stupid question (I'm good at them!), but why are you going to Ireland to cross Biscay?

A bit of an Irish question I suppose :)

Juggler7823

Visit site
I assume Cynthia is based on the west coast of england or Wales North of Pwllheli. The direct route to round Lands End is then from the SE point of Ireland ie. Rosslare/Kilmore Quay area

Roy

cynthia

Visit site
Setting off form Pwllheli - love Ireland - the lot, people, food, country, (Merve enjoys the stout too!) (I just come home looking that way!)

Not to mention getting as far west as possible, thus avoiding the sharp drop in sea levels when it hits the continental shelf. Well, that the theory.

Can't wait!

Cynth

G

Im planning similar excercise 6/12 months off and cruising to Azores via France Spain and Portugal. Leave mid/end April I hope. If you have budget planned I would be interested as my own goes as follows:(This is for the two of us per month)
One week per month in Marina............... 84
Anchoring/Mooring ave 3.50 day..............81
Food and drink.......................................200
Laundry..................................................20
Camping Gaz and petrol...........................30
Diesel.....................................................20
Maintenance and Sundries.........................65

There was an article about costs in mag last month for 25 week cruise costing under 3000pstg but seems very low. Also I intend taking mobile phone and connecting to laptop on board fr e-mail. Have you explored this and if so what software is needed to connect mobile? Another Q is Tillerpilots - I have had to date 4 Autohelms and they all get soaked and stop. Are you using wind vane steering or electric? And dilemna over power generating - wanted aquair but so expensive! Any suggestions there apart from running diesel every day to charge?

Sorry fr all the questions but do not get much contact as working in Saudi at present and doing all by e-mail.

Richard

ccscott49

Visit site
In the meddy, solar panels are better than wind, in Portugal, Azores etc, wind is better, but both systems are expensive. Solar panels are cheaper in Portugal than UK. Power genration is always a problem for some people, but I have friends who dont use a fridge in the med, they just modified their eating habits, to live cheaply. I think if you are taking a year out or whatever, and are young, why not spend a bit more and be comfortable, with fridge etc. You will have to look round, but secondhand stuff is always available at boatjumbles etc. Autohelms, should be waterproof! But consider fitting below the deck, if you can, if not get in touch with the manufacturers and see what they say about super proofing! Running the engine is not a bad option when in the med, because you will be doing a lot of motoring, if you want to go anywhere! I hope this helps a little.