A yacht to sail to Australia and sell there

BobPrell

Visit site

Fossil

Visit site
Seems like everthing with a sail, is a yacht, including optimist dinghies.

Not sure what your point is with that comment.

TradeMe has a separate section for "Dinghies and rowboats", which mostly covers flubbers and rigid tenders, with some you could sail. Under "Yachts", you can specify whether you want to look for boats with centreboards, keelers, multihulls, trailer-sailers, or "others".

Given that the vendor - not the site - has to decide which category they wish to advertise in, and the site has to guide potential purchasers to the sort of vessel they want, there would seem to be plenty of choice there. Or you can choose to look at "all" - which includes centreboard dinghies - which I suspect is what you have done. Or are you suggesting that an Optimist isn't a yacht? Or shouldn't come under the "Cars, Bikes and Boats" category? In that case what is it?

ffiill

Visit site
Not at all sure about the price differential.
Just take a look on Gumtree Australia as I regularly do and prices to be seem very reasonable although with the brexiters drop in the Oz dollar from two to the pound down to 1.5 to the pound its not really the best time!

ffiill

Visit site
Sorry but these are all multihulls, I don't know why they have suddenly become so popular - maybe next week they will have some monohulls

http://www.mysailing.com.au/boats/n..._term=Nine excellent used multihulls for sale

Jonathan

On the east coast in particular there are lots of shallow harbours and associated sand bars.
For example with a multihull no problem entering the Noosa river at high water over the bar but with a monohull it would be very easy to get it wrong.

BacktoBoats

Visit site
To get back to my original reason for starting this thread, I was looking for something more than anecdotal evidence (including asking prices on various websites) to backup the theory that you can buy a yacht in Europe, sail it to Australia and sell it for around twice the price you paid. Of course I know there are import duties and travelling costs to pay as well and that is fine. I am not looking to earn a big profit, just to understand if it is realistic to expect to pay all of the cost of the trip/import/sale from the sale of the yacht in Australia. I did get in touch with dby boatsales.com in Australia who a previous poster recommended, and the founder has a track record of doing exactly this himself, so they claim to be expert in this field. But so far they have failed to provide any useful info at all.

Given I am flexible on the type of yacht, there must be a trend for certain types of yachts selling well in Australia and in relatively short supply there, yet in abundant supply in Europe for instance, and it would make sense to target something like this. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Jonesey

Visit site
My boat was a Beneteau 473 and sold rapidly (within a few weeks) in NZ; the broker's view was that any of the big EU production boat names e.g. Jenneau, Beneteau, Hanse, Bavaria move very quickly in the 35-50 ft range.

At the risk of repeating myself - it is possible to do exactly as you mention and come out with a profit if the exchange rate is in your favour. If the exchange rate hadn't bombed I would have made a decent profit (or more like broken even for the trip inc all my costs), as it was I took a reasonable loss.....

BacktoBoats

Visit site
My boat was a Beneteau 473 and sold rapidly (within a few weeks) in NZ; the broker's view was that any of the big EU production boat names e.g. Jenneau, Beneteau, Hanse, Bavaria move very quickly in the 35-50 ft range.

At the risk of repeating myself - it is possible to do exactly as you mention and come out with a profit if the exchange rate is in your favour. If the exchange rate hadn't bombed I would have made a decent profit (or more like broken even for the trip inc all my costs), as it was I took a reasonable loss.....

Thanks Jonesay that's useful. Did you look at what the difference might have been if you had sold in Oz at the time? The suggestions seem to be that NZ is generally cheaper than Oz.

Jonesey

Visit site
Yeh I talked with a few Oz brokers and I would have come out with ~10-15% less GBP at that moment in time as the AUD was suffering even harder than NZD. We had heard anecdotally also that the Oz market was getting higher prices than NZ but I guess it depends on the rate at the time and what boats of your spec are selling for.

Also I couldn't afford to pay the import duty on arrival in Oz - the brokers had stories of the Customs folk demanding import duty & GST as soon as boats were listed for sale. The Kiwis were much more relaxed and as long as ultimately one isn't trying to evade import duty/GST, they didn't demand it up front.

Worth mentioning that we didn't decide finally on Oz vs NZ until after we had reached Tahiti - so you don't need to make the call now, there's plenty of time to work it out.

Neeves

Visit site
To get back to my original reason for starting this thread, I was looking for something more than anecdotal evidence (including asking prices on various websites) to backup the theory that you can buy a yacht in Europe, sail it to Australia and sell it for around twice the price you paid. Of course I know there are import duties and travelling costs to pay as well and that is fine. I am not looking to earn a big profit, just to understand if it is realistic to expect to pay all of the cost of the trip/import/sale from the sale of the yacht in Australia. I did get in touch with dby boatsales.com in Australia who a previous poster recommended, and the founder has a track record of doing exactly this himself, so they claim to be expert in this field. But so far they have failed to provide any useful info at all.

Given I am flexible on the type of yacht, there must be a trend for certain types of yachts selling well in Australia and in relatively short supply there, yet in abundant supply in Europe for instance, and it would make sense to target something like this. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

I understand, anecdotally, that David Bray sold his business 'recently' to concentrate on marine insurance.