A swim I wouldn't fancy

xyachtdave

Visit site
He would never make a swim like that with a L/J on either would he?

It would just depend on which way the wind & currents carry you if you are.

Stop it Searush!........ the 'I was accosted by the RNLI for not wearing a LJ' lot will be along if you stir all that up again.

How about, 'I'll decide on the safety gear needed and if I get it wrong I won't call for help and swim the 5 miles home myself!'

'Deal?'

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Whatever . . .

If I'd had been in that situation with my L/J on, I would probably take it off anyway & swim holding it ahead of me. I would have trouble making the distance with out it, but if able to rest it would help, even if I wasn't able to use both arms.

Life jackets have their benefits, but they also have disadvantages. We do need to be aware that are not the "be all & end all of survival".

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about being left 6 miles from shore in calm conditions and asking whether you would tread water and wait for rescue or swim for the shore.

I was one of those who would probably go for the big swim.

This guy swam the 5 miles in strong currents and survived so perhaps I would have a chance?

Richard

30boat

N/A
Visit site
There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about being left 6 miles from shore in calm conditions and asking whether you would tread water and wait for rescue or swim for the shore.

I was one of those who would probably go for the big swim.

This guy swam the 5 miles in strong currents and survived so perhaps I would have a chance?

Richard

Only in warm waters!

fishermantwo

Visit site

bikedaft

Visit site
Here's my kids in shark infested waters in the Bahamas whilst the sharks go into a feeding frenzy!!!!!!

:p

OT sorry but why do you feed the sharks? i know a lot of people do it, but it means that sharks will associate boats and people with food, surely not a great idea?

back on topic, well done to the guy for swimming that far. the currents tend to go up and down the coast there, so if you don't panic won't add to you distance swum... too far for me tho