A rough idea?

nickcred

Visit site
As we are considering leaving the boat in this winter I am thinking for my own sanity and so as not to get a blank refusal from SWMBO to do some winter river crusing, that I should finally give in and get hot water and heating put on board Tristan. She is powered by a Nanni 4150 39hp diesel.

Any ideas how big a job and what the rough cost would be to get this done by a boat yard (my technical skills amount to opening the engine bay and saying "hmmm time to call an engineer" is something goes array) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Am thinking i only need one heat out let in the Cabin and one in the cockpit, she is a 25 ft Birchwood

Cheers

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Hot water and heating, could use one hotwater heater with radiators or go for engine heated hot water and diesel hot air heater.

Calorifier ( engine/mains ) , plumbing etc ( does your sink have a hot and cold tap or does that need upgrading ? ) £500 to £700

Diesel heater, ducting etc ( are the batteries good? ) for new equipment - £1000 and upwards!

My guess is start with £1000 in your pocket and make sure there's a chunk more available.

With a bit of application and diy you could at least 1/2 that and could possibly divide it by 3

robbieg

Visit site
Week of someones time to fit hot water and heating. 40 hrsx £40ph (inc vat) =1.6k plus £1500 for the heating kit and similar for the water tank, pipes, taps etc? 4 to 5K ish I would have thought if you pay a boat yard to do it

nickcred

Visit site
thanks guys, gives me an idea

Like the look and sound of the propex heater and seems reasonable cost, any negatives to them? Also if I went the diesel heater route do you have to run the engine to have the heat on as I assume with the calor gas propex you don't. Sorry for the dumb questions but as I said I am technically and mechanically inept /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

VARNE

Visit site
Re: A rough idea? [re nickred]

Propex heater is ducted air only [I think they do a separate water heater----See Propex web site].
2nd Daveyw's opinion------Excellent and no maintainance.

I bought single outlet marine kit for about £450, 6/8 months ago. www.wildaxmotorhomes.com
Just tried their website and can't get beyond home page??
Maybe updating?? Phone is 01535 608555

Eeyore

www.yachtrhumbdo.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Also if I went the diesel heater route do you have to run the engine to have the heat on

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

You could pick up a 2nd hand Webasto or Eberspacher from a lorry breaker yard and fit it yourself - not too difficult a job - would heat both water and air for heating. Wouldn't like to comment on cost but would certainly be much less than the 5k already mentioned.

rogerdog

www.bristolchannel.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]

No.

You could pick up a 2nd hand Webasto or Eberspacher from a lorry breaker yard and fit it yourself - not too difficult a job - would heat both water and air for heating. Wouldn't like to comment on cost but would certainly be much less than the 5k already mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree that you can pick up second-hand units considerably more cheaply than new units - but you take a chance that they are ok. The other point that I must make is that the units fitted to trucks are usually ducted hot air and DO NOT heat water. A separate Hydronic (or whatever Eberspatcher call them) unit would need be added - or a single water heating unit, calorifier and radiator with fan (like a car heater) for the cabin.

Personally i'd go with the engine for hot water and a immersion heater element in the calorifier (runs off shore power) and ducted hot air for the cabin heat. As to engine running etc you should find if not on shore power (for the immersion element) hot water after about 30+ mins of engine- and the cabin heater just needs battery power (but does use quite a bit and large starting current -so engine running when starting the heater can help if batteries not 100%)

The approx 5K for a yard seems about right !