A Question for Divers

Talbot

Visit site
Do you carry all your gear with you or hire tanks when required, or do you have a compressor onboard?

Does anyone know of a small (cheap) lightweight compressor suitable for squeezing normal air tanks?

<hr width=100% size=1>

southchinasea

Visit site
I rent kit but a liveaaboard neighbour has his own compressor. Sorry
don't know what type/capacity. He's on a 50ft ketch and it doesn't take
up much space.
Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
i have kit incl 2 tanks so am able to get under the boat asap if needs be- i'm not a professional diver, and have never dived recreationally and don't plan to do so - i only use it as a means to an end - to get under the boat.

I specifically didn't buy a compressor as i prefer to let other (more expert) people see the tanks from time to time, bit like if you have an aeroplane it's best to put it out for rental so as many pilots and instructorts as poss can check it out in between your use of the thing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
I carry two complete sets of gear and two 75 cuft tanks and get them puffed up when and where I can, often some of the proffesional outfits will puff them up for you for free, otherwise theres lots of dive shops.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gordonmc

Visit site
I am fraudulently replying to your post 'cos I am only a wannabe livaboard.
The only kit I travel with is the "up close and personal" variety, ie. suit, mask, fins and regulator. All the rest is hired.
If you are thinking of installing compressors I would get some serious advice. What goes into the compressor and subsequently your tanks is just as important as the bars. Water traps must be as efficient as possible, otherwise damp compressed air will get into the tanks leading to internal rusting and damage to 1st stage regulators.
If you can't ensure clean, fresh air going in you are taking a chance with what comes out, which may be a problem if the compressor is below decks. CO1, for example, is more toxic under pressure.
I would be happier hiring my tanks in the knowlege they are regularly certified and they are being filled with clean air.
FWIW, soon after I started diving I used a buddy's commercial garage compressors to fill up. It didn't take long to work out why I had a headache after every splash.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: fraudulent liveaboard

i too am a fraud, and frequently sleep in places other than aboard a boat. But note the intro to the forum - it's okay to be a dreamer.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MapisM

Visit site
I have got all the gear, not the compressor.
But I gave that a thought few years ago, and finally decided that it's not worth the hassle, just to fill up a couple of tanks a dozen of times per year or so. Nowadays, I would say that it was a good choice.
If in any case you would be interested, I remember that <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.coltrisub.it>this</A> company had a small and cheap model, available both in the electric and petrol versions. And they sell factory direct.

sea_hobbit

Visit site
I used to have 2 complete sets of gear on board, incl. 2 bottles and a small portable petrol compressor with a Honda engine - this model is still available now and without checking price costs roughly £1000. The compressor itself was extremely robust and I can certainly recommend it. However, there are problems with it on a boat that you should bear in mind: It is VERY noisy - to fill one tank takes about 20 mins and you will be the most unpopular yacht around if you do it anywhere near any other boats or houses. You really do have to be in the middle of nowhere otherwise you won't dare show your face in public. This sounds easy enough but it really is a lot of effort to go to just to fill a tank. The other consideration is stowage - they are not the smallest or lightest of items and will not tuck inconspicously under a bunk.
My recommendation would be to have at least 2 tanks per diver and fill them up at a dive shop ashore - that way you have one in reserve.
Cheers
Sarah

<hr width=100% size=1>SP
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.subart.net>http://www.subart.net</A>
International Submarine Art Gallery

ParaHandy

Visit site
i thought about how it could be done and although i didn't know that you could get a portable compressor i was put off by the diver (its somewhere on bsac web site) who died from inhaling carbon monoxide and a benzene ring compound. what happened was that the smokey exhaust from the petrol engine entered the compressor inlet and the inlet was close to an open can which had a benzene ring compound in it. the concentration of impurities was in parts per million but was sufficient to kill him.

anyway, getting an oil-free, moisture-free, compressor to deliver air at 3000psi on a boat was, i thought, difficult ...

<hr width=100% size=1>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Actually not that difficult to get clean dry compressed air on board, best mate who's now on his boat in the Med has a small portable compressor with a long "chimney" connected to the air intake. If the filters are cleaned/changed regularly there should be no problem.

But as has already been said, these compressors are extremely noisy, he used to bring oit with him on my boat and I hated it when he started the damn thing up. But the air it put in the tanks was excellent.

These things are not only heavy but very awkward to pick up and move around.

<hr width=100% size=1>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Most of it has been said re compressors, not worth the effort for the number of fills p.a.
You need to know what you are about with regard to siting air intake, filter/oil changes and air purity testing.
It’s worth having your own tanks onboard and getting them filled/tested as and when. You never know when you will be becalmed in 10mtrs of water with a 30mtr drop off and 20mtrs of vis (I wish) or when you will pick up a rope/net/bag on your prop.

<hr width=100% size=1>
ladybug_zigzag_md_wht.gif

Talbot

Visit site
Props not a problem, I just raise it on the hydraulics and can then reach it without getting in the water /forums/images/icons/smile.gif It is normally raised anyway unless the engine is actually running.

<hr width=100% size=1>

RelaxedatSea

Visit site
I would agree that the compressor is not worth the effort, and there are serious dangers if you mess up on the fill.

If you are going to get tanks filled by the pros, be aware that you may be asked for qualifications, so ensure that you carry your certs with you. You may also need to show a medical fitness certificate. If you havn't got a cert think about which qualifying body will be recognised throughout your destinations.

Finally be aware that in certain parts of the world a lot of diving is prohibited. In greece, you were not allowed to do any night dives (haven't been for a couple of years, so this may have changed), and wreck diving is often frowned upon/illegal.

That said, some of the best diving out there is along the shore, miles from anywhere.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Re: engine up

Re:"It is normally raised anyway unless the engine is actually running"
The problem of keeping the drive in the raised position is that the hydraulic rods are exposed to marine growth. When you put the engine down all those little crusty things could damage the seals. I keep mine in the fully down position.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
Re: engine up

My hydraulic bits are well clear of the water-line when sailing. At rest, the only bits that touch the water are the pivot pin at the bottom of the hydraulic motor. Thus it is better to keep it up /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ric

Visit site
I have a 32 foot boat and have a small electric Coltrisub compressor mounted in one of the lockers. I find it very useful indeed, as it saves lugging heavy bottles all around ports for refills, then finding they're closed etc.

If you can afford it, get a Bauer Junior compressor (google it) as they're definitely the best but very expensive. The Coltrisub is about half the price and works fine, though there were rumoured ot be some problems on earlier models with compressor conrods letting go. I've been very pleased with mine. If you would like to see photos of the installation, or need any other advice, email me.

<hr width=100% size=1>

HaraldS

www.taniwani.eu
Have two complete sets of diving equipment including tanks and a small compressor wich I can run while the generator runs for charging batteries. Takes about 35 minutes to charge one of the 15l tanks.

The compressor is from KompTek and costs about €1900. There is an electric version and one with a Honda engine. I use the eletric and have built it into the boat under the pilot berth, with a long hi-pressure hose to charge on the aft deck.

All has been very reliable.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.taniwani.de>http://www.taniwani.de</A>

Ric

Visit site
Another suggestion - if you just want to dive under your boat and check anchor etc, what about getting a big "reservoir" tank, then a cross-fill whip to decant to a smaller "boat" bottle?

I have a little 5l bottle always prepped and ready to go that I use as my "boat" bottle and I can be over the side very quickly to clear prop etc with it. After use, I top it up by decanting from a 15l "reservoir" bottle which I find too heavy and cumbersome for diving generally. I get about 4-5 top-ups from the 15l bottle.

I also have 2*12l bottles which I use for deep dives. But if I just wanted to dive under my boat, I would just get a 15l, a 5l and a cross-fill whip.

<hr width=100% size=1>