A Princess or a Broom?

G

We are considering changing our boat this season and have two quite different boats in mind. A Princess 37 or a Broom 35 European. We have two small children aged 4 and 1 and are therefore trying to decide which would be the better option for us. With the Broom we like the idea of an aft cabin and the distance between the two cabin but I worry about all the steps inside the boat and the children high on the aft deck and beng easily able to walk off along side on the side decks. With the Princess we like the idea of the aft cockpit where the children would be down within the boat, we like the bunks at the front and although we love fly-bridge boats wonder about the practicality wiht children. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

G

I had the Broom 35 European. It was a fine boat indeed, bit slow but far far superior to a princess 37. Don't worry about the kids the 35 aft deck is just as secure as a cockpit.

Attachments

• IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0789.jpg
    IMG_0789.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1
G

Broom is a real quality craft that will resell well . I suggest the Ford 120s as the best engine option. Princess is a "small" 37 footer compared to rivals . Go Broom !

G

I have had extensive (expensive!) experience of both boats and would suggest the Broom for mainly river and some coastal work with the princess more suited to sea. I think it depends on your intentded usage but I bow to the Broom quality of construction . I also feel that aft cabin boats will tend to sell on better too . Both good boats but my money would go on the Broom. Good luck

G

Having had a Broom and knowing nothing about Princess I'd go for a Broom.

Attachments

• 20150120_105452.jpg
    20150120_105452.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 0
G

On the issue of kids safety, the Broom would definitely be better as you can watch the little buggers on the aft deck when at sea and you can easily poke your head into the saloon to inspect the carnage below. With the Princess, especially if all the adults are on the flybridge, you've got no idea what's going on below in the saloon or in the cockpit and then it's dangerous for small kids to climb the ladder to the flybridge. I've heard the 35 is not a bad seaboat but I have no personal experience

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 0
G

Just as an aside...

Last year we bought a non-Broom boat from CJ Broom & Sons (they had taken it as p/ex for a new Broom) and they couldn't have been nicer people to deal with, we met a couple of them at the Boat Show in London and they remembered us and the boat and asked how we were getting on etc. Their idea is that if you're nice to people they come back again and they're right because now we'd really like to get a Broom in the near future.

G

Re: Just as an aside...

You're right. We've been looking at Brooms for years and every time we have visited their stand at Earls Court or Southampton, one of their brokers always remembers our name and we've never even bought a boat from him although we've just bought a Broom through C J Broom who were also unfailingly helpful. Apart from the qualities of the boats themselves, such old fashioned courtesy does make you want to deal with them again.

Attachments

• IMAG0285.jpg
    IMAG0285.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 0
G

Thanks for those comments . Having spoken to the sales manager at Brooms I too am impressed and also feel that I would like to buy through them too .

G

I have had Brooms since 1969. I am looking for a boat now and unfortunately due to circumstances I don't think its going to be another Broom. I too have nothing but praise for their old fashioned attitude to customer care. Their quality of build is superb and as another just aside aside. I belive the only time the Queen had a motor boat built (other than the Royal Yacht) it was a Broom. BTW. Anyone interested in a 1978 broom Ocean 37? full details at http://www.education-jobs.co.uk/photo.htm

G

I have had both a broom 35 sedan and currently own a princess 385. The Broom has it for construction everytime, We have brought up a child (now 6) on aft cockpit boats with no problem about the flybridge if the walk they climb. the princess is a faster boat with the correct hull shape and engines the broom 12knt cruise with 120's both are getting on check the both for osmosis cost about 4500 (brooms cheapest but don't tell them that) Paul and David in broom sales both nice guys, give them a hard time you might get a result, Although I own a princess thats only through the fact that a boat of the 385's size and space would cost double at brooms, but the resale is the same margin. shaun

Attachments

• Sq 60.jpg
    Sq 60.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 0
G

No contest has to be a Princess, Brooms are fine for the river but they roll like hell when they are out at sea, and their not exactly fats either! Go for the Princess.

G

Well said Suz. I've heard many times that the Brooms are nice people and I'm sure they are. But there on the Broads and thats fine. Now for the sea you need a Princess. Not sure about the 37 though, it a bit dated and need to see which hull shape it is.

G

Interesting selection of comments - with regard to river/sea use we would be mainly using proposed craft on the Thames with some sea work when time allowed . I think Broom may suit our compromise better . Would love a newer Princess than 37 but am restrained by budget.I am not sure that high flybridges and rivers really go together