A polite reminder...

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Name names!

..must be missing the ads. Certainly wasn't me mentioning that my First 211 has just been posted on www.beneteau-owners.com and that it will be in YM classified next month. Oh and that reminds me, I think I qualify for a free ad on the internet service as well.

I quite agree Kim, keep the site free of ads. (see the brokers have been having a plug on MBC)

G

Re: Name names!

hear hear, i wouldnt think of plugging such a fine little boat as the virgo voyager. especially the one i'm selling. cheap.

chippie

Visit site
Its a shame there isnt some mechanism where forum members can list their boats for sale (private sales only). This would have the advantage of giving members the first bite at a boat new to the market as well as the vendor the chance to cicumvent the brokerage. Perhaps that is the problem eh? mustn't upset the brokers who advertise in the paper mags.
There is possibly a compromise in here somewhere.
Opinions anyone?

mtb

Visit site
Good for you Kim, what about the disregard shown in the for sale section .
Quite often post's don't have a price because the vendor knows the price required exceeds the £200. limit .
I find it frustrating when vendors do this, perhaps the price ceiling is to low !!
Mick

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats
I want a big steel ex trawler / tug v / cheap or swap for tug

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
If I see an unpriced item for sale that is obviously not going to change hands for circa £200 or less then it gets junked as soon as I see it. As for the rest, well I assume ybw.com for sale forum brings out the best in man and fellow forum users are keen to offer each other bargains.

Of course if I catch wind of an overpriced deal being done then I reserve the right to confiscate the difference between agreed figure and £200 for my retirement fund...must get that written into Ts and Cs :)

kim_hollamby@ipcmedia.com

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
We're actually working on a better and more immediate way of providing private boats for sale on the ybw.com network of websites. Unfortunately it's not as easy as it seems for us because we do need to link our classified magazine sales database with what happens here and the two are, in software terms, poles apart.

It is all being looked at however as we already know that the private boats for sale listings that can be found in the Buying a boat section of the websites does sell boats (that listing is a representation of all private classifieds from YM and our other mags (excluding Classic Boat) featured in previous two issues).

G

If you "catch wind" easily might I recommend Xantac as a cure, or a pint of Doom Bar works wonders! Oops, sorry - not supposed to advertise am I?

G

Take your point, and would hate to see the forums turn into a big ad-fest but I thought it had moved on from the ad and turned into quite an an interesting discussion of jonic's future plans.

The real reason for this is fears about undermining the magazine's ad market, isn't it? And of course as soon as that is perceived to have happened, they will get very twitchy about funding the website.

So it's probably in all of our interests to play the game if we want these forums, even though most of us are card-carrying members of the Awkward Squad (some committee members, even) and playing the game infuriates us...

"El manana es nuestro, companero..."

jonic

www.jryachts.com
Thanks fruit bat, it really is about my future plans, which have had a tremendous amount of input from people in this forum......thanks to everyone for advice and good luck messages.....I'm quite willing to pay YM for ad (see my latest post)

We get the Corsair this friday and David Hardy starts his lightspeed re-fit straight away. Thanks to reading Bill Cooper's book I've finally sold up to sail at the ripe old age of 35. Well not quite sold but if anyone wants to help................

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/yacht/serafina/

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
<The real reason for this is fears about undermining the magazine's ad market, isn't it?>

To answer truthfully, the reason I posted was because I had received some comments yesterday via PM and e-mail that suggested users weren't keen to see boat plugs get out of hand. But you are also right that boats for sale is something we earn money from and running the website costs a reasonable chunk of that commodity...

romany123

Visit site
Quite right to Kim
Just cos Ive a flymo for sale for 2 quit (in very nice nick) and painted bright red with catching yellow spots.you wouldent catch me trying to sell it on here....... just wouldent be right, by the way P&P would be £45.00 if I was trying to sell it
:)....

Dave