a plea to all posters

Visit site
Whether to offer help in answer to a question or to simply know where a poster is coming from, it really does help if posters say what boat they sail in their profile. There used to be a specific line in the old YBW forum software but there is not in this one and for that reason most people dont show their boat details any longer. But there are plenty of unspecified spaces in the new software where the boat make could be put.

So how about tweeking your profile to show your boat details?

Lakesailor

Visit site
..and location. You don't have to give your address and where you leave the spare key, but a general area, as answering questions can be easier if you know where the poster is.
ie: local knowledge or regulations

pvb

Visit site
Whether to offer help in answer to a question or to simply know where a poster is coming from, it really does help if posters say what boat they sail in their profile.

What's your rationale for this? If I were to claim to have an Oyster 62 rather than a Hurley 22, would you take my advice more seriously?

OGITD

Visit site
OK

Whether to offer help in answer to a question or to simply know where a poster is coming from, it really does help if posters say what boat they sail in their profile. There used to be a specific line in the old YBW forum software but there is not in this one and for that reason most people dont show their boat details any longer. But there are plenty of unspecified spaces in the new software where the boat make could be put.
So how about tweeking your profile to show your boat details?

Updated mine.... BUT!... just because a forum member / poster sails a particular type of boat, doesn’t necessarily make them knowledgeable or any good out on the water…. and we’ve all seen examples of “the good, the bad and the ugly”…. haven’t we!? ;) :rolleyes: :eek:

maxi77

Visit site
What's your rationale for this? If I were to claim to have an Oyster 62 rather than a Hurley 22, would you take my advice more seriously?

Not really, you would be surprised where real expertise lies, but on the other hand answers to your questions may well be misleading.

I often find answering other peoples questions difficult because they fail to provide enough information to enable a sensible response.

Playtime

Visit site

It depends on the subject. If it was on investments or law then probably, otherwise no. ;)

It does help to have some background info on a respondent, though - experience, boat(s) owned, areas sailed etc. so you can put any 'advice' offered into context.

Tom Price

N/A
Visit site
[QUOTE=maxi77:
"I often find answering other peoples questions difficult because they fail to provide enough information to enable a sensible response."
Which is a completely different issue, often evoking an understandably impatient reaction.

There's a thread currently running about Bruce anchors which has drifted into metalurgy. You wouldn't doubt the qualifications of the contributors - but no-one has solved MY anchoring problems yet!

As for one's Personal Profile, just try posting on the MoBo Forum as a raggie - and vice versa!

Lakesailor

Visit site
just because a forum member / poster sails a particular type of boat, doesn’t necessarily make them knowledgeable
I understood Bosun Higgs request to be for more information on the part of a questioner. If I post asking about half tide moorings or good tenders it helps someone answering to know if the OP has a small boat or lives near or far from his boat.
I've noticed many times people asking questions without including any details in the post.
It can be a complete waste of time to answer if you don't have some idea of the situation.

ianat182

Visit site
A plea to all posters....

There's a Title heading at the top of each thread for the purpose of identification of a boat, engine, location, and problem. Even this is enough for the practical side of answering a thread most times ,but " I've got a boat" doesn't help to answer anything - and with the slow response times these days you probably have changed it before we can answer you!!

ianat182

Quidi Vidi

Visit site
Excellent idea, I'm all for it if it helps others give me better and more relevant advice and answers. Just updated mine although i have to say the profile page is about as user friendly as the search engine.
I have had some excellent response in the past and it has increased my boating knowledge no end, can't see anything sinister in this simple request:rolleyes:

pvb

Visit site
Just updated mine although i have to say the profile page is about as user friendly as the search engine.

:)

You'll have a much better search experience if you use Google to search the forums. Just type site:ybw.com/forums into the Google search box, followed by your search terms.

Visit site

Dont be so sensitive - its not about marine willie waving. Its simply that it, for example, you are asking for advice about crossing Biscay you would get a totally different answer in the two cases you describe. Perhaps a silly example but you see what I mean.