A pair of anchors

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
I feel I should know the answer to this but here goes.

Bill and Laurel Cooper advise that in some Frenchie marinas when mooring stern to - you should set 2 bow anchors just in case someone gets athwart yer hawse.

My boats stemhead fitting has the facility for 2 bow rollers but only one is fitted for some reason. I've got an 'orrible feeling that getting another is going to be expensive. Both anchors have 10m chain and 30m of rode. So.....

Why shouldn't I set one anchor over the bow roller and the other out of the forward fairlead?

TIA

Magic

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.co.uk/geoffwestgarth/myhomepage/travelwriting.html>Click for website!</A>

tcm

Visit site
Well, i think it would be mostly a total pain in the arse to set two bow (or stern) anchors, except praps in winter when you were sure nobody else is going out. Even megamonster superyachts in the very few places where you need an anchor -use just one anchor, not two. If you really do need two anchors er. not sure you should be there. Lots of opportunity to fould anchors either side. bad advice from bill, imho

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
Inside the marina no problem at all. Many boats have just that as the permanet arrangement.

I've only been in half a dozen French Marinas heading for Spain but didn't need an anchor anyway.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: however

No reason at all why you can't put two anchors down as you say. Cept one will be a bit manual.

again tho, I would do everything possible NOT to p[ut down two anchors cept for a long long stay, and even then, i'f prefer ground tackle, not anchors. Most marinas have ground tackle in place - dopn't put down an qanchor cos the goinmg rate is 100€ to get divers out. Also, if tyou put down two anchors, and then I moor up in the next slo t and put down two anchors... how are you going to pick yours up - unless I'm on board ? Cos yerl have to break out my anchor before getting above yours? And you can't put down a tripping line cos that'll foul my route into that next berth. Ooh, I'm losing my rag with him now. Look , it's a blimmin benjenny wassername, spect he has a load of -can you hear?- musak from the cockpit speakers! And that woman that's with him - she can't have been on that boat much at all probly his previous missus dumped him and I can see why too! Two sodding anchors indeed!

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
not expensive. you could buy a piece of delrin and have it turned on a lathe (wood or metal) to make a roller to size. i made all mine that way.

could be fun when you haul both anchors in!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Anchorite

Visit site
Only once put out 2 anchors in Med in 30 years - Saint Tropez, 1980-something,
tornado out of a clear blue sky. Mayhem outside, dismastings, boats smashed
against quays. Over in a few hours.

<hr width=100% size=1>