A nasty Dose

G

It would appear that a nasty little worm has crept into my system unnoticed by MR Norton. The upshot is that I've unwittingly sent 1,000 e-mails out to just about everyone in my Outlook addresses file. Some systems have caught it and bounced back to me with a message, some, I guess if no AV software, may not even be aware they've got it. Bit like the boating bug really, creeps up on you whilst you're unaware and then BAMM you're hooked.

Now updated my AV software and got rid of it. It's called w32.Badtrans and according to Symantec, wild=high, Damage=low and Distribution=high.

So if you've ever sent or received e-mails from me, check your system and I'M SORRY OK. I'll buy you a cuppa tea to make up for it.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Dont know if you got my message colin. Or is it me that told you. Thing is I got it from two other sources at the same time.
So whats going to happen to me. Dose it blow up. Or will computer just die or get sick.
I've got a McAfee bug spray in mine, though sourse is a bit iffy
and I've had it a year or two so maybe the cans empty.

Haydn

G

that's a thousand cups of tea he's just promised, incl 1 for me.

G

Yes the Typhoo\'s on me

will make tea for everyone who invites me for a day out on their boat. If invite's for longer will do breakfast in bed

G

yes got your message along with about 100 others and replied via PM from another puter. Re what it will do and how to cure it, have a look at www.symantec.com and follow the linky stuff. Cor sounds as if I know what I'm talking about don't it?

G

Re: ooer

Is breakfast in bed supplied as accurately as was tea in the saloon?

G

ah but you're asuming that you'll be in the bed at the same time as the breakfast hits the sheets aren't you?

G

You'd never get all 1000 slices (due to strange "bug" in toaster) plus broken teapot on the tray in the first place tho...

ArthurWood

Visit site
I think you should also update your Outlook Express. Apparently there was a patch available from Microsoft eight months ago to fix the "hole" through which Badtrans enters. Download from Microsoft.com

G

Re: Its free

Anyone with virus problems or having paid good money for 'lifelong' software only to get hit with a demand for more money to update your 'outdated engine' try AVG.com its free to individuals and updates itself on a regular basis

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
Colin (and others)

Virusesssss can get into your computer via other means than e-mail. When you are web surfing, many of your machines "ports" are open to the web and any one can see your machine. All windows users have a very helpful (sic) port (port 80) called the NetBios port which allows script kiddies and other nafarious hackers into your machine to place trojan-horse viruses and stealth viruses that can damage or destroy your computer, either now, or later.

You can test this out for yourselves, quite somply by visiting www.grc.com and using the "probe my ports" feature, it free!. This asks the connected server to probe your ports and delivers the danger / safety status right back to your screen.

Free versions of personal "firewalls" that make your machine "invisible" to all other web users are available to you from www.zone.com and you will need zone-alarm. This blocks all entries into your machine from hackers and alerts you when someone is trying. Better versions of this are about $25 and are available from Total Network Solutions, www.tns.com and its called Terminet. Originally made by some clever Russians at Danu Industries.

A good combination is AVP from Kespersky Labs and Danu Terminet from TNS.

Don't forget though, personal firewalls may be good, but as yet, they cannot stop you from opening e-mails and letting viruses in that way and opening the port from the inside - so hey! be careful out there.