A load of rowlocks

trev

Visit site
This happened earlier this year and I have been dwelling on it for some time - expert opinions please !

Passing up through Henley a couple of weeks before regatta, and hence having to use the portion of river begrudged to non-oarsmen on the North bank. I was pottering along at less than normal river speed and overtaken by a single scull, the occupant of which proceeded to give me a load of verbals about not getting out of his way and making him 'row through my ****ing wash!'
I had 'er indoors with me so had to show some restraint, and pointed out to the berk that no-one had MADE him row through my wash and if he had waited a couple of minutes I would have been gone, and he would have had the river to himself, and anyway as the overtaking vessel wasn't HE the one to oblige ?
But since then I've been wondering - does rule 13 (colregs) apply on the upper Thames ? and if not what is the ruling on overtaking vessels? Are oarsmen made aware that courtesy is strongly promoted among river users, or don't they really care ?
Also do the speed limits apply to their coaching launches? they seem to tear around with total disregard to moored vessels.
Please don't get me wrong on this - I've nothing against oarsmen (or women) per se, I just want to be sure of my facts next time one of the sh8tfaced ignorant b8stards comes by !

I'm afraid I posted this on the wrong forum first time round - must be the lack of booze !(currently in Saudi)

Trev

Geoffs

Visit site
I think that the correct response should be Bow Locks. Should there be any complaints about language, point out Bow Locks are on the River Lea in the End of London.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Before being allowed to Scull one has to have the brain removed and any nautical knowledge washed out, including that of "overtaking vessel etc." It is then replaced and the owner goes on a Course of Stupidity. They are taught amongst other things to hurl abuse at anchored boats and moored boats for creating wash. They especially learn to stop abreast across the river and best of all in the arch of a bridge and get extra points awarded for causing mayhem.

ô¿ô
www.education-jobs.co.uk
www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

paulineb

Visit site
Sam's in the rowing team at school. He's not exactly ashamed of it, but he doesn't shout about too much, especially having spent his formative years listening to his dad and friends shouting abuse at scullers. In fact it wasn't til Sam was about 15 that he realised "bastard scullers" wasn't all one word.

Pauline B

ChrisP

Visit site
You are most certainly correct in assuming the collision regs apply on the non tidal Thames and where nessesary are suplimented by the EA Bylaws which stem from the original conservators by laws.
The shouting of abuse from any rowing boat is now deeply frowned upon by the ARA and should a complaint be upheld they are quite willing to heavily penalise the offender or club.
If you should feel the need to complain at a regatta take note of the offender and if poss take pictures of the boat so it can later be identified. Colour of blades etc. Take particular note of the language used and by whom. Present your complaint to the umpire or an event official and copy it to the local EA navigation office. You may also copy it to your local River Users Group representative and the ATYC.

If the offence takes place outside an official event again take pictures and keep a record of what happened hopefully with eye witneses. Again copy to the people mentioned above.
I have found recently that just the sight of a camera is usually enough to silence the culprit.

Good luck

ChrisP

BarryH

Visit site
So its not only me. I was on the Thames last year going down stream fom hammersmith, the reach along puntey is littered with rowing clubs, one of the brave little w anchors went straight into my stern, now bearing in mind the limit is 8 knots and he was coming up my wake so to speak, the only coherent phrase he could come out with was "why did'nt YOU get out of my way" Safe to say my reply is not printable, Now i cannot see how i can be held accountable, 1 i was not breaking the speed limit, 2 i was on the correct side of the navigable channel, 3 i was keeping a lookout 3 I tried to take avoiding action. Now he was speeding, not keeping a proper lookout, and did not even try to alter course. next time i see one of the little S***s im going to give em a wake they cant avoid seeing