A head versus heart decision for Play d'eau

Piers

www.playdeau.com
We have been having much the same feelings as you for the last several years. Whenever we have any issues with Ocean Spirit, we feel the urge to sell as the maintenance effort seems harder each year. BUT, once again, as we near the end of a fabulous cruising season, a decision has been reached. ONE MOR YEAR!

Hope your sale is quick and successful and every best wish for both of you to enjoy your family and garden.

Richard and Elvia.
Hi Richard. Thanks for kind words and all the best for you both for next year.. As someone said to me, better to sell when you can rather than when you have to.. The heart is still battling to stop the sale....

Mr Googler

Visit site
It was Caen, and the sea state was 'emotional' to say the least. Tom called Richard Poat (remember him?) who was running the staff RIB (the Scanner...) and asked him to make best speed to assist. Richard floored the throttled - and one of the tubes burst!

Caen ??

Poaty? He nearly knocked me off the bow of the Levi when we switched to an alongside tow with the rib to enter St Vaast. It was a long day for everyone?

I think me and Rob Peake did the initial channel crossing in the Scanner ….it really was rubbish….but then it was designed as superyacht tender. Solent to Scillies on the Rib-eye was the best trip. That could take anything…..although there was a hardy 36 (maybe a 42)on the cruise so we tucked in behind him around Portland ??

Fishtigua

Visit site
When my Dad sold his wooden sloop after 40 years ownership, he bought a F/G Contessa 26. He called it his ABF boat.

ABF? Absolute Bloody Final. He was in his mid 80's and had had major heart surgery. He just knew when it was time to sell.

Good luck with the sale Piers, will miss you on the Island.

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Piers, it sounds like it's the right time for you to move on. You'll have plenty of great memories without the boat now becoming a burden.

The garden sounds magnificent. Have you got a photo?!
The previous owner of our house employed a landscape architect for the 1.5 acres of gardens, creating a formal area and a children's playing field. I'll check for some phots and post them.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
How hard it's been to make the decision to sell Play d'eau. Since taking her new in 2003, we've enjoyed so much brilliant cruising with this faithful boat, but the time really has come for her to find a new owner.

So, a couple of weeks ago, we placed her in the hands of Fleming Europe and wait to see what happens. On the one hand, our hearts hope she won't sell, whilst on the other, our heads tell us it's right.

Are we crazy?
PM sent.

Asm

Visit site
How hard it's been to make the decision to sell Play d'eau. Since taking her new in 2003, we've enjoyed so much brilliant cruising with this faithful boat, but the time really has come for her to find a new owner.

So, a couple of weeks ago, we placed her in the hands of Fleming Europe and wait to see what happens. On the one hand, our hearts hope she won't sell, whilst on the other, our heads tell us it's right.

Are we crazy?
I remember you waiting for delivery of the Fleming, also the ‘incident’ re the propeller after leaving vlissingen (your princess) still missing Toby’s fudge dispensing service, hard to imagine him married with children! Re other cruise incidents, were you there when a boat hit the bottom shortly after leaving Paimpol, Mad Dog perhaps, Sea Dweller was another participant. All the best, I know what you mean re the garden!

Piers

www.playdeau.com
I remember you waiting for delivery of the Fleming, also the ‘incident’ re the propeller after leaving vlissingen (your princess) still missing Toby’s fudge dispensing service, hard to imagine him married with children! Re other cruise incidents, were you there when a boat hit the bottom shortly after leaving Paimpol, Mad Dog perhaps, Sea Dweller was another participant. All the best, I know what you mean re the garden!
I wasn't on the cruise where the boat hit the rocks just outside Paimpol (overtaking someone in the narrow channel about 200m from the exit) but I remember the rather apt name - Surf Ashore! By the next morning, the boat had been completely ransacked.