A head versus heart decision for Play d'eau

Piers

www.playdeau.com
How hard it's been to make the decision to sell Play d'eau. Since taking her new in 2003, we've enjoyed so much brilliant cruising with this faithful boat, but the time really has come for her to find a new owner.

So, a couple of weeks ago, we placed her in the hands of Fleming Europe and wait to see what happens. On the one hand, our hearts hope she won't sell, whilst on the other, our heads tell us it's right.

Are we crazy?

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
How hard it's been to make the decision to sell Play d'eau. Since taking her new in 2003, we've enjoyed so much brilliant cruising with this faithful boat, but the time really has come for her to find a new owner.

So, a couple of weeks ago, we placed her in the hands of Fleming Europe and wait to see what happens. On the one hand, our hearts hope she won't sell, whilst on the other, our heads tell us it's right.

Are we crazy?
I spotted her moored at Swanwick a week or two ago.
Best of luck with the sale, I doubt you’re crazy….

Bouba

Visit site

Are we crazy?
Are you getting out of boating? Down sizing ? Up sizing ?
Many of us here are associated with our boat, but not many have the same connection as you do with Play d’eau. It will be a sad parting. But........... it’s a seller’s market

Greg2

Visit site
Even in a strong sellers market it must have been a hard decision after eighteen years and so many adventures. Good luck with your sale and all the best with whatever comes next.

Last edited:

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Piers, do you still have your berth in Beaucette? Are you thinking of replacing her or is this the end of your boating days?
Debs and I are having similar discussions about Eos, but I suspect we’ll be keeping her for a few more years. It’s a very difficult decision to make when you know your boat inside out as you do, and have had so many fab experiences on board.
Good luck with the sale, after all the love and attention she’s received from you, she’ll be a great buy for her new owners.

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Thank you all so much for your words. It was a really hard decision to make, almost as hard as when I resigned a pilot from British Airways many years ago.

Having bought Play d'eau new in 2003, why sell her? Maybe three key reasons. Servicing Play d'eau for the last 18 years has always been a total delight. I've loved it, But this year, the ten days I spent servicing Play d'eau earlier this year felt like a chore which shook me. And two years ago, we bought a lovely house which is blessed with magnificent gardens. Then there's our type of cruising which is three months away down the west coast of France which will clash with tending and seeing the summer beauty of the gardens. And then our four sons and their growing families in the UK want to come to Guernsey at various times in the summer - COVID has shown how much we miss them.

So, will we downsize? I don't think so. It would be rather like swapping a Boeing 707 for a single engine Cherokee in 1983. No comparison. Seen at Swanwick? Yes, we went to the UK for 6 weeks to visit family and left her there. Even with our gardens left in the hands of very capable gardeners, we missed so much of their gorgeous the summer bounty.

Yes, it's a heart-wrench. She's served us well. She's looked after us well. She's been a home from home. She's been a total joy.

Bouba

Visit site
Thank you all so much for your words. It was a really hard decision to make, almost as hard as when I resigned a pilot from British Airways many years ago.

Having bought Play d'eau new in 2003, why sell her? Maybe three key reasons. Servicing Play d'eau for the last 18 years has always been a total delight. I've loved it, But this year, the ten days I spent servicing Play d'eau earlier this year felt like a chore which shook me. And two years ago, we bought a lovely house which is blessed with magnificent gardens. Then there's our type of cruising which is three months away down the west coast of France which will clash with tending and seeing the summer beauty of the gardens. And then our four sons and their growing families in the UK want to come to Guernsey at various times in the summer - COVID has shown how much we miss them.

So, will we downsize? I don't think so. It would be rather like swapping a Boeing 707 for a single engine Cherokee in 1983. No comparison. Seen at Swanwick? Yes, we went to the UK for 6 weeks to visit family and left her there. Even with our gardens left in the hands of very capable gardeners, we missed so much of their gorgeous the summer bounty.

Yes, it's a heart-wrench. She's served us well. She's looked after us well. She's been a home from home. She's been a total joy.
I wish you well for the future, Piers. It’s kind of shocking because you are thinking of selling a boat that most of the rest of us aspire to. But only you know when it’s time to go ashore. Selling her will be quick, so less painful but don’t be a stranger to the forum

Robin

Visit site
There are 2 motor boats I have drooled over, both mentioned here. Playdeau is one and Eos the other. I have had many boats, arguably too many, I Cried serious tears over 3 (sailing boats) when they left and still miss them now, the last of them especially so. We live on our current motor yacht, not in Playdeau's league, nor as loved and finances permitting if I owned Playdeau would find the decision to sell very hard if not impossible.

Good luck and very best wishes. (y)

Restoration man

Visit site
Good luck with getting out of boating , my dad
Tried that once ??? didn’t last long , He drove my mother mad by wanting to go away every weekend, lasted about 6 months , my mom ended up practically begging him to buy another boat , funny as she was as never that keen on the boat ???

Mr Googler

Visit site
It’ll be a sad day Piers no doubt but my goodness…..you’ve made some memories with her!

Ill never forget being so glad to see you when me and Tom Gregory where trying to stop a boat sinking of the coast of France. Levi Corsair I think it was. As ever…you where both so calm under pressure….I on the other hand was bailing for all my worth ?

Things move on and priorities change but the great memories will never be gone. Probably better to sell rather than hang on and have things become less memorable and more stressful

westernman

www.devalk.nl

Are we crazy?
I think you are crazy.

Anything to do with a boat is a whole lot more fun than gardening.

Piers

www.playdeau.com
It’ll be a sad day Piers no doubt but my goodness…..you’ve made some memories with her!

Ill never forget being so glad to see you when me and Tom Gregory where trying to stop a boat sinking of the coast of France. Levi Corsair I think it was. As ever…you where both so calm under pressure….I on the other hand was bailing for all my worth ?

Things move on and priorities change but the great memories will never be gone. Probably better to sell rather than hang on and have things become less memorable and more stressful
I remember the sinking incident so well. It was an MBM C in C. The call was something like, 'The water's up to me knees - when should I ask for help?'

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Was that in the days of Paul Berger? Never met him, but he seemed to be a very keen and helpful power boater. Iirc he ended up with a Coronet having had a much larger boat before.

Mr Googler

Visit site
I remember the sinking incident so well. It was an MBM C in C. The call was something like, 'The water's up to me knees - when should I ask for help?'

I think we had all left Carentan and where on route to St Vaast. Mr Gregory was below decks on the Broom having a snooze. ….sorry….doing some planning. I gave him a rude awakening when the hammers went down. ??

Same day….one of our colleagues wrecked the Scanner rib. Useless heap of junk that couldn’t take being airborne ?

Playdeau was the go to boat in any circumstances on the cruises. Mainly as Piers and family are so welcoming and we knew nothing needed fixing so it was a good place to take a break! I can still see Toby on the jet rib hooning about.

Only time I ever saw Piers get irritated was in a lock on the way to Paris. He and Lin are truely mustard at handling Playdeau however…..the Phantom 38 behind not so much. These locks where massive and the french keepers just seemed to open the gates. Big surge back then forwards. The boat behind Peirs wasn’t expecting the forwards and made a mess with his anchor of Playdeau stern capping rail.

First and last time I’ve ever seen Piers raise an eyebrow ?

Hope you don’t mind me sharing these ??

IDAMAY

Winter: Algarve Summer: Wherever the boat is.
Visit site
We have been having much the same feelings as you for the last several years. Whenever we have any issues with Ocean Spirit, we feel the urge to sell as the maintenance effort seems harder each year. BUT, once again, as we near the end of a fabulous cruising season, a decision has been reached. ONE MOR YEAR!

Hope your sale is quick and successful and every best wish for both of you to enjoy your family and garden.

Richard and Elvia.

Piers

www.playdeau.com
I think we had all left Carentan and where on route to St Vaast. Mr Gregory was below decks on the Broom having a snooze. ….sorry….doing some planning. I gave him a rude awakening when the hammers went down. ??

Same day….one of our colleagues wrecked the Scanner rib. Useless heap of junk that couldn’t take being airborne ?

Playdeau was the go to boat in any circumstances on the cruises. Mainly as Piers and family are so welcoming and we knew nothing needed fixing so it was a good place to take a break! I can still see Toby on the jet rib hooning about.

Only time I ever saw Piers get irritated was in a lock on the way to Paris. He and Lin are truely mustard at handling Playdeau however…..the Phantom 38 behind not so much. These locks where massive and the french keepers just seemed to open the gates. Big surge back then forwards. The boat behind Peirs wasn’t expecting the forwards and made a mess with his anchor of Playdeau stern capping rail.

First and last time I’ve ever seen Piers raise an eyebrow ?

Hope you don’t mind me sharing these ??
It was Caen, and the sea state was 'emotional' to say the least. Tom called Richard Poat (remember him?) who was running the staff RIB (the Scanner...) and asked him to make best speed to assist. Richard floored the throttled - and one of the tubes burst!