a few random thoughts on Netherlands

sailorman

Visit site
Before we left home i made sure we had access ( remember access) to funds in various ways, ie 3 x service cards, 2 differing CC + a prepaid mastercard. the latter works sometimes in retail outlets / harbour dues ect but always in an ATM

DanTribe

Visit site
Hmm, no maestro in either of our wallets and a trip to Basildon yielded no banks who would issue one. Anybody got at ideas? Or approximation of how much cash required. Is food shopping and eating out similar to UK?
As others have said, you can get cash from ATMs, there is often one in the supermarket. My comment was just to highlight that you usually can't use a UK card at checkout. Have enough folding, it's embarassing not being able to pay with a queue behind you!
Groceries and eating out a bit cheaper than UK.
I have a prepaid Mastercard (FairFX). Worked in the yacht club in Middelburg but seldom since at checkouts.

AliM

Visit site
Many of the supermarkets charge you 1 or 2% for using a card - well they do in Germany, dEnmark etc - not sure about NL. So we always use cash, which is easy enough because there are a lot of ATMs. We have a Euro account, so in Euro lands use the card with that, and in non Euro countries use a sterling card, to minimise the transaction charges.
If stuck in ENkhuizen, go to the Zuiderzee Zee museum!

Lovely weather in Rugen (NE Germany) and wonderful sailing area - heartily recommended for those with time!

nauticalnomad

Visit site
If you swing by the local gemente (council) they have a procedure for everything.. Even what days you can eat certain foods.
Its quite a simple life here in NL as long as you fill in the form and pay the license to live and breathe.

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
If you swing by the local gemente (council) they have a procedure for everything.. Even what days you can eat certain foods.
Its quite a simple life here in NL as long as you fill in the form and pay the license to live and breathe.

Oh, dear, the youngest and his SWMBO are moving to Den Haag for work- but we've given them our coffee service, so they should be ok.:confused:

Suffolk Explorer

Visit site
A couple of years ago I found that you needed either a Maestro card or a special Dutch Railways card to purchase tickets from the machine at an unmanned railway station like Enkhuizen. Also needed Maestro for the out of hours machine for the Haarlem locks and moorings. In both cases a friendly passer-by used theirs and I paid them cash, but I prefer not to rely on such good fortune. Has the situation changed or has anyone found a way of getting a Maestro card in the UK?

Stork_III

Visit site
A couple of years ago I found that you needed either a Maestro card or a special Dutch Railways card to purchase tickets from the machine at an unmanned railway station like Enkhuizen. Also needed Maestro for the out of hours machine for the Haarlem locks and moorings. In both cases a friendly passer-by used theirs and I paid them cash, but I prefer not to rely on such good fortune. Has the situation changed or has anyone found a way of getting a Maestro card in the UK?

http://www.maestrocard.com/uk/howtoget/

May not be correct. I have Nat West acc and the debit card is Visa not Maestro.

ChattingLil

Visit site
As others have said, you can get cash from ATMs, there is often one in the supermarket. My comment was just to highlight that you usually can't use a UK card at checkout. Have enough folding, it's embarassing not being able to pay with a queue behind you!
Groceries and eating out a bit cheaper than UK.
I have a prepaid Mastercard (FairFX). Worked in the yacht club in Middelburg but seldom since at checkouts.

Agreed. The first time my card was declined (mastercard), the checkout lady did not know why. I tried another card (visa) also declined. I didn't have enough cash to pay for all the shopping, so had to leave some behind. If I did embarrassment ,I would have been. Luckily I have no shame :). HOwever, still did not know why, it was until the second supermarket that the lady told me why. So it was ATM after that. Once you know it's ok and you can prepare for it. Well worth the tip.

LAURIN - we found things the same prices if not a little cheaper re eating out, bars and snacks. Mooring charges are much cheaper.

sailorman

Visit site
just got back into Willemstad & 2 nights inc showers,leky & water €20 a night (£14 ish )

our tour of The netherlands up to today

20150717_141944.jpg

Last edited:

Boz

Visit site
While we are on Random Thoughts (OP) ..... What do you guys do about prescription drugs, Co Codamol is on my list and contains codeine which is a controlled substance in some countries. The CA site rather unhelpfully doesn't list them....

Impressed with your tour Sailorman ;)

sailorman

Visit site
While we are on Random Thoughts (OP) ..... What do you guys do about prescription drugs, Co Codamol is on my list and contains codeine which is a controlled substance in some countries. The CA site rather unhelpfully doesn't list them....

Impressed with your tour Sailorman ;)
we have codene o/b & never gave a thought to it being controlled. the Seppos get upset but i dont plan to go there & my nav isnt that bad either :encouragement:

PS the tour continues tomorrow, R & R day today

Boz

Visit site
After much googling I found a complete set of inland waterway charts on this site

ANWB Waterkaarten voor Windows

Sorry this is not a URL but a search should find it. £28 for a complete set including a viewer. There are also Apps for android and iPad.....

Sent from my iPad

sailorman

Visit site
After much googling I found a complete set of inland waterway charts on this site

ANWB Waterkaarten voor Windows

Sorry this is not a URL but a search should find it. £28 for a complete set including a viewer. There are also Apps for android and iPad.....

Sent from my iPad

charts are also a free download & run on open cpn leaving €39 to spend on bier :encouragement:

Boz

Visit site

sailorman

Visit site

Vamoose

www.flickr.com
just got back into Willemstad & 2 nights inc showers,leky & water €20 a night (£14 ish )

our tour of The netherlands up to today

MARINA CHARGES All very reasnoble , currently left boat in Dordrech for trip home and crew change. 10 nights for 9 metre boat = 110 Euro.

Last edited: