A Complete Change

Wavey

Visit site
Sadly the Haines I took delivery of a bit over a year ago didn’t work out. Sold within days fortunately. Fancied something guaranteed to put a smile on my face and bought this. Still got some fettling to do but I’m seriously impressed, and still grinning like a Cheshire cat.
Windy 37 GM - Exterior.jpg

Wavey

Visit site
(y)

A latecomer to my shortlist of possible boats having been disappointed with pretty much every other sports cruiser I’d looked at for one reason or another. This ticked all the boxes and just felt right from the moment I stepped aboard. The sea trial and survey clinched it. And a full history file with every invoice for work done since original purchase was a bonus.

Greg2

Visit site
That is a change in direction Jim!
Cracking boat - Windy know how to put a boat together.

Interested to know why the Haines didn’t work out? SWMBO quite likes the 32OS.

Wavey

Visit site
Loadsa of free advice you missed out on on here before buying .

Like I will kick off with a Q if I may . Why outdrives and VP , aged at that ?
I did read threads on here about the Windy 37, KAD300s and DPG legs before shortlisting the boat, and researched elsewhere. Lots of advice too from my engineer who knows his way around Volvos, and the surveyor who’s Volvo accredited. Sadly, some of the good guys who used to post on here no longer do so made direct contact.

Why outdrives and VP? Options are limited for sub 40ft sports cruisers. I’m happy with the KADs. Service history is good. Tappets have been done as recommended by Volvo, most recently in December. One DPG leg was replaced with new in February and the other rebuilt. I know the risks and have budgeted accordingly. TBH it’s the boat I want and I’m not that bothered about future costs.

I did also consider more recent boats but I wanted something that didn’t look like the interior was supplied by ikea ??. I probably qualify as being a bit old school in that respect ?.

Wavey

Visit site
That is a change in direction Jim!
Cracking boat - Windy know how to put a boat together.

Interested to know why the Haines didn’t work out? SWMBO quite likes the 32OS.
Hi Greg. I will admit it’s a bit of an about turn but I wanted to put the fun back into my boating.

IMHO the 32OS isn’t an offshore hull. One reason for buying it was the Andrew Woltstenholme hull as he designed the 42cl I had. Let’s just say his idea of coupling a big keel to a planing hull wasn’t one of his best. As regards the other reasons, suffice to say I’d be in no hurry to buy another brand new boat. I was probably just unlucky.

Portofino

Visit site
I did read threads on here about the Windy 37, KAD300s and DPG legs before shortlisting the boat, and researched elsewhere. Lots of advice too from my engineer who knows his way around Volvos, and the surveyor who’s Volvo accredited. Sadly, some of the good guys who used to post on here no longer do so made direct contact.

Why outdrives and VP? Options are limited for sub 40ft sports cruisers. I’m happy with the KADs. Service history is good. Tappets have been done as recommended by Volvo, most recently in December. One DPG leg was replaced with new in February and the other rebuilt. I know the risks and have budgeted accordingly. TBH it’s the boat I want and I’m not that bothered about future costs.

I did also consider more recent boats but I wanted something that didn’t look like the interior was supplied by ikea ??. I probably qualify as being a bit old school in that respect ?.
Agree the kad 300 + DPG was probably the sweet spot .Talking from 9 yrs ownership experience.

Nice boat btw Windys .
Hope it all works out and the additional seaworthiness comes in use ?

Wavey

Visit site
Agree the kad 300 + DPG was probably the sweet spot .Talking from 9 yrs ownership experience.

Nice boat btw Windys .
Hope it all works out and the additional seaworthiness comes in use ?
Many thanks ?. From my admittedly limited experience thus far the Windy hull inspires real confidence in the boat’s abilities and I do plan to be more adventurous. I promise ?

Greg2

Visit site
Hi Greg. I will admit it’s a bit of an about turn but I wanted to put the fun back into my boating.

IMHO the 32OS isn’t an offshore hull. One reason for buying it was the Andrew Woltstenholme hull as he designed the 42cl I had. Let’s just say his idea of coupling a big keel to a planing hull wasn’t one of his best. As regards the other reasons, suffice to say I’d be in no hurry to buy another brand new boat. I was probably just unlucky.

Well I think you will definitely put some fun into boating with the Windy!?