A Clyde cruising Alternative?

Supertramp

Visit site
Steve,

I understand and share your predicament. I think the real question is where can you get a day sail and some variety of anchorages for a short cruise. And somewhere safe to leave the boat. I have sailed the Solent many times and it's fantastic when not full of boats (eg autumn/winter). Lots to explore.

I discounted Liverpool, Fleetwood, Whitehaven as they are restricted access and little on offer for day sails.

I am in N Wales at present (Pwllheli) which has a good community and active sailing. The downside is its restricted in SW winds for shelter. And on sunny days there is extensive jetski and RIB activity. I would consider Conwy or Deganwy as they are nearer but they are quite tide restricted.

I considered the Clyde and might move there but 5 hrs drive versus 3 hrs is a problem for me. Although some marinas have train access.

steveeasy

Visit site
Steve,

I understand and share your predicament. I think the real question is where can you get a day sail and some variety of anchorages for a short cruise. And somewhere safe to leave the boat. I have sailed the Solent many times and it's fantastic when not full of boats (eg autumn/winter). Lots to explore.

I discounted Liverpool, Fleetwood, Whitehaven as they are restricted access and little on offer for day sails.

I am in N Wales at present (Pwllheli) which has a good community and active sailing. The downside is its restricted in SW winds for shelter. And on sunny days there is extensive jetski and RIB activity. I would consider Conwy or Deganwy as they are nearer but they are quite tide restricted.

I considered the Clyde and might move there but 5 hrs drive versus 3 hrs is a problem for me. Although some marinas have train access.
Variety is the spice of life.

Steveeasy

steveeasy

Visit site
You challenged my comments. I posted those to back up my experience of the place. I also told my story of my walk to the high street & the meeting in the club. I did not take pictures of the boarded up high street that you think denotes hussle & bussle because I did not want to get mugged for an expensive camera in an area that one sensed was rife with drugs etc.
So I am only showing what I saw in response to a counter opinion.
Just saying a place has hussle & bussle does not add up with the view of a druggie down trodden area. What do you mean, by it? Traffic jams. Bus queues, Courier vans driving about. cyclists?
Night clubs spilling into the streets at nights with drunks screaming & fighting.
I do not blame the people It just happens. I am not commenting on the reasons for or against. The locals may have had a bad break. That was not the point of my comments
I can only say what I saw. It is a Grim place.
Your right, ive never seen night clubs spilling on to the streets anywhere else!!. Courier Vans!! nope not seen then anywhere else. oh and Bus queues, heaven forbid. The working class. ive never seen a bus in Grimsby. Careful people might think your a bit of a snob. :)

Daydream believer

Visit site
Your right, ive never seen night clubs spilling on to the streets anywhere else!!. Courier Vans!! nope not seen then anywhere else. oh and Bus queues, heaven forbid. The working class. ive never seen a bus in Grimsby. Careful people might think your a bit of a snob. :)
Ok, So what is your definition of hussle & bussle.
I would be interested to know what it is.

steveeasy

Visit site
Ok, So what is your definition of hussle & bussle.
I would be interested to know what it is.
Over and Out.
Steveeasy :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

No Im back. more importantly whats your definition of it. Tell us your interpretation of hussle and bussle ?. Go on please. Hussle and bussle can be activity on the Hamble on a sunday morning, well if your lucky !. People travelling to work in the rush hour. happens in Grimsby and London. usually involves a large group of people but not always. Trucks pouring in and out of the docks. ships entering harbours 2 or 3 at a time. cranes swing containers around from all over the world. Trains hauling goods to and from port. I see it all and it just gives me a buzz. Ive had my own butchers in the 70sHow lucky was I!!, Corperate Hospitality for Formula 1 in the 80s all over Europe in Bristol Lowdeckers. Farming in the 90s and a student at 40 at Stirling University. Oh 3 large equestrian Centres winning venue of the year in 2019. ive had a great life and extremely varied. of course its relative to each persons own achievements. my sailing caps it all. but ive never had such a buzz as I do in Grimsby.
Steveeasy

Last edited:

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
I have had this dilemma all my cruising career, living in the Black Country. I've tried Pwllheli
(before the Marina), Plymouth, about 10 years each and Ipswich 20 yrs plus. All about 3 hrs.by road if lucky, but only Ipswich frequently possible by rail-4hrs plus. N.Wales wet, tidal but Scotland/ Eastern Ireland within reach. Limited local cruising. Plymouth good for Channel Islands and North Brittany, but repetitive local cruising. Ipswich has more varied local cruising and good access to Belgium, Netherlands even the Baltic. Going West is easier by Northern France because can be a hard slog to the Solent and the West Country. Scotland requires determination; its a long way up to the Caley! And low water at the end of a fair tide on East Coast harbours as you go North.
Take your pick.

QBhoy

Visit site
Good chance you’ll be very disappointed. Not much, if anywhere in the UK, can compare or come close to the WC of Scotland, I’d think. Won’t be too many to better it, in the world perhaps….that’s when the sun shines, to caveat ?

steveeasy

Visit site
Steve,

The Solent offers everything you are looking for and it surrounding areas. I actually like the fact it can be busy on the water, just adds to the fun of it all. The Clyde for me and I suspect you is a longer drive. what I would say is it is a good drive with few stop starts. the majority of which can be done on cruise control. For you the solent would be harder if im right M6, M42. A34. can be quite busy at times.

Its difficult moving when you are in essence settled. If id not sold my Twister id not have moved. I have not regretted moving to a different area and now look forward to new challenges slightly hampered by 2 new hips in the last 8 weeks. but I hope to be out on the water in March with the sun shinning. Best of luck.

Steveeasy

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Any thoughts?
Speaking as an economic migrant to Englandshire. Keep your boat on the Clyde. It will give you some 'any time' accommodation when you need to get home for some normality.

There is nowhere in England, Ireland or Wales that comes anywhere near west Scotland.

Several have suggested moving the boat to Lake Solent. Don't! It is busy, very busy, with little to see; I spend about two weeks a year sailing there. You very quickly run out of things to do; I have yet to find a decent fish supper. Let's not even think about costs of keeping a boat there. I'll grant you it will have wind and flat water, its main attraction, but the cost of beer in Cowes gives you a very, very nervous wallet.

The south coast, I am in Plymouth, does give you the ability to visit our friends over the water for decent coffee and croissants, but a must have investment is a tee shirt with 'Je suis écossais' printed on it as it opens so many doors. ?

seafox67

Visit site
Thank you to everyone that replied to my thread (including the entertaining thread drift! ) :)

Your responses have given me something to think about and I can see some compromises will need to be made!
Cheers, Paul.

steveeasy

Visit site
Not sure why having lots of boats is an issue. Personally I prefer it. There are lots of places to visit. Unless your going to down 10 pints then 50 extre a pint is not that off putting. Mooring bouys outside cows are cheap. Cows is lively in the summer. Lots of racing at clubs. Classic cows week RTIR week. Easy access to trains. Good chandlers. Conditions can be challenging with a south easterly. Weekend to Weymouth or lulworth. It’s not better than west coast but different.
id say both should be sampled and taken for what they are. Both fab places to be based.
Steveeasy

Last edited:

dunedin

Visit site
The Solent offers everything you are looking for and it surrounding areas. I actually like the fact it can be busy on the water, just adds to the fun of it all. The Clyde for me and I suspect you is a longer drive. what I would say is it is a good drive with few stop starts. the majority of which can be done on cruise control. For you the solent would be harder if im right M6, M42. A34. can be quite busy at times.

Its difficult moving when you are in essence settled. If id not sold my Twister id not have moved. I have not regretted moving to a different area and now look forward to new challenges slightly hampered by 2 new hips in the last 8 weeks. but I hope to be out on the water in March with the sun shinning. Best of luck.
It is a mistake to mentally compare the Firth of Clyde cruising grounds to the Solent. The Clyde area is massively bigger and much more varied than the Solent:
- At a rough estimate the Solent, including all harbours, has a "sailable coastline" of about 75nm, and one major island.
- The entire sailing waters from Selsey Bill to Portland Bill increases this to about 200nm and two major islands.
- The full Firth of Clyde area has perhaps 450nm sailable coastline, and 8 major islands.
Clearly the Solent has other attractions, and much more racing due to proximity to London and the SE.
But the Firth of Clyde is a massive cruising ground - as witnessed by the CCC pilot book for the area needing 150 pages to cover the many places to visit.

Visit site
Having sailed a lot in the West Country and enjoyed it, Wales and found it limited, the East Coast and whilst pleasant has nothing to compare with the West Country or Western Scotland. I would stick to the Clyde if I were you or bite the bullet and find somewhere in the West Country but it will be very different to cruising on the west of Scotland

[3889]

Visit site
My two penn'orth. I live in NW England and kept a boat in N Wales for 10 years. Nice enough but been there, seen it. Spent the last decade in France, Portugal, Spain and Italy. IMHO southern Brittany and the Spanish rias offer the best sailing in Europe but require awkward transport logistics.
This year the plan is to return to the UK to .... Milford Haven.
A bit of an outpost overland by UK standards but a functional, if not beautiful, town. I've short-term berthed there before so can recommend the efficient marina wholeheartedly.
Foul weather sailing in the Haven, day sailing to Skomer/ St Brides Bay, overnighters to Lundy & Tenby, weekends in Padstow & Kinsale with France, W coast Ireland, Cornwall/Devon and Scilly's lined up for a weeks cruising.