8Mb Broadband Connection

noswad175

Visit site
I've recently signed up for an 8Mb broadband connection for my home through http://www.lasmit.com, but have been told there is a broadband ISP that offers a service for both home and mobile connections within the same account. Does anyone know which ISP this is? Please do let me know if you have this service on your boat.

Thanks,
Steve

nelly2

Visit site
AOL appear to offer the greatest possibility to connect from home and when travelling. An account with ipass is very useful for connecting to wireless hot spots but it is expensive to run.
The ISP providers have got wise to the need to connect!
Good luck with your new account!

Trevethan

Visit site
Got fed up with the marina's wifi offering -- high price low speed, erratic, always dropping signal. So went and spent about £100 on high quality wifi card and directional antenna/

This lets me hook up with work's network half a mile off, as well as a number of free hotspots round about, but it does need a bit of lining up.

Was advised against omni directional unit due to reflections from masts buildings etc.

Main grumble is the heavy cable between pc and aerial -- like armoured mains cable -- stiff thick and awkward to run. Still working on permanent location. At the moment gets wedged in an open hatch.

ashley

Visit site
Sorry, it seems to be only Britain that has ADSL at these slow speeds

"Recently BT increased their connections from 512kbps to 1mbps for free. woo-hoo

On my boat in france I've had 8mbps for six months. Had to turn down a 15mbps service because of the tie in period.

My how we get ripped off in the UK

Whilst in Holland, i saw an advert for a service offering phone line, TV and 20mbps for €30 per month. Yep, twenty quid

They once said that broadband is 40 times faster than dial-up, well that Dutch service is twenty times faster than UK's broadband!

trouville

N/A
Visit site
In Denmark,Sweden and Finland everyone seems to have as a minimum 23megsec!
In Denmark and Sweden at least there is no wi fi outside stations and that's 30 euros a day 0r 60 in cafes.
It also has british weather,so you should think how lucky you are to have wi fi in a marina and free hotspots around,hear there are some in stokhplm and goteborg or malmo but none outside
on the otherhand gprs is everywhere and as there are so many islands there is vertully a gprs connection everywhere and costs with a pre pay card 15krone per meg! im sitting in my cockpit 50kms from any large town pecking away at my pda(dell) connected to my phone,
when intel provide contry wide connections as in the us it will be great