8 so far

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
As a proud sponsor of the rally would I be able to pop in?

Can't bring the boat as she won't go under the bridges but I could bring some sausage rolls.

It would be great to put some names to faces.

[/ QUOTE ]

HUH?
If its the Ashmount Rally then of course you are more than welcome.
HUH??
If its the Thames Valley Rally then I can tell you the organisers are very happy for 'others' to attend which I am sure someone will now confirm for you.
HUH???
Looking at the photo of your boat it should go under all bridges assuming there's no radar mast I can't see.

Brayman

Visit site
Re the TVR: You are more than welcome at any time over the weekend, it is always good to see sponsors.
The best time is Sunday morning when the boathandling competition is on and if you stay till lunchtime I'll buy you a beer while we watch the brass band and enjoy the sunshine.

Brayman

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Brass Band? Did somebody say Brass Band??

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah do I detect an interest in attending?
Early March I will have details of all the entertainment etc and information on how to book. Note, I am talking about the Thames Valley Rally here, not Byron's Ashmount Rally. Entertainment at the latter will be very much self made!
Anyone planning to go up river to Ashmount could do worse than consider coming to the Thames Valley Rally in Henley en route.

Geoffs

Visit site
Well, I'm still reckoning on making the trip up the river from Poole. I've even gone as far as buying some charts for the Thames Estuary etc., and started putting a passage plan together. I'll aim to leave Poole on 3rd May ( I'm assuming the rally at Ashmount is 9/10th May), that should give me a leasurely trip and allow for contingencies.

I'm thinking Brighton 1st night then onto Chatham or maybe St. Kats if time, still have detailed chart work to do, working out tides etc., to finalise. Once I get to Limehouse 'I knows me road' from my canal boating days.

One thing I never really had to bother about with a narrow boat was speed limits. So perhaps I can ask Thames tideway experts, where do speed limits start when coming from the sea, what are they? What happens at Thames Barrier, do I radio them for clearance, or is this not necessary? Is Ken going to clobber me for congestion charge??? I think not!! Do I need to contact VTS or anything, really what is tideway etiquette. I could look all this up in my almanacs I guess, but first hand experience is always useful.

Once on the non tidal river I'm OK, done Teddington to Inglesham and beyond many times. I'm reckoning on getting a 1 month EA visitor license, other than that have not worked out any return plans yet.

I'l probably go up as far as Abingdon as that is as near as I can get to my home. I could get under Osney, but as I said, have done it many times, so don't feel the need.

I really getting quite excited about this, will be an adventure for me.

rr_123

Visit site
Planning on a very similar journey (in reverse) in June, from the non-tidal at Staines round to Cowes (you get to an age where rock festivals are more attractive if you can sneak off to the yacht for a shower (c; ), hope you can post details of your experience and will try and bite your ear at Ashmount!

Regards

Rob

byron

RIP
Visit site
Phew! You really are taking a helluva trip Poole - Ashmount. Be careful. You might find that not having to worry about tides, sea conditions, fuel consumption, wear & tear will wean you off the sea /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif What you save in mooring fees will be eagerly grabbed by the EA.

MiskinDriver

Visit site
Your questions on the tidal Thames:

Speed limits, none until Wandsworth Bridge and 8 kts thereafter. Though, being realistic, once you're into the Pool then 8 - 10 kts is all that's reasonable with all the other movements (particularly trip boats leaping off piers etc).

Call London VTS (don't use any of their old callsigns - they do get sniffy) on Channel 14 when entering the barrier control zone (just before Gallions Point) for permission to go through -They'll specify which span you use. Its not tricky, as there'll be great big green arrows pointing at the span to use. The spans are lettered, with A closest to the South bank. Other than that, VTS are not really interested in what you are doing.

No congestion charge - unless you're a four wheel drive.....

The bridge span markers remain the same: two yellow lights for the navigable spans, three reds in an inverted triangle for non-navigable, strobes for a boat with difficulty manoeuvring in the vicinity - quick flashes mean there's two of the b**ggers!

Other than that - there's diesel at Burgen - which is usually near St Kat's but is occasionally off elsewhere. There's also Thames Refueller further up near Southwark Bridge.

Don't use the piers unless you have prior permission - which Transport for London won't normally give. Though some of the piers are under different authorities who sometimes do. Chelsea and London Bridge City come to mind. All except in case of emergency of course.

Other than that you need eyes in the back of your head (or rear view mirrors!) and the water these days gets very rough around the Belfast with all the trip boats. Watch out for the latest trip boats - the big RIBs which do the slalom ride from the centre of town to the Lower Pool and roundy round before returning (they do not use the approved sound signals! though most of the other tourist boats do). Also watch out for the DUKWs:
a) because they're easy to swamp, and
b) because watching the terrified faces of the pax who are wondering why they paid for this will make your day.

The PLA website is very helpful, and the "Interactive Leisure Map" is handy for contacts etc. All the nav rules are there too.

Enjoy .... I always do!

MiskinDriver

Visit site
Oh, and I should have said - don't be surprised to be boarded by the River Police. They tend to check any craft they don't know. They're usually cheerful and friendly - most unlike their land-based counterparts. When they do stop you - you get given a real Stop and Search form. Hopefully it'll be the only time you see one!

Look out for their Targas as you pass Wapping and you'll see the back of the oldest police station in London.

Geoffs

Visit site
Thanks for your helpful advice, Tony. All seems as clear as the river, should be OK, looking forward to it. I think the only thing that might prevent the trip is poor weather in the channel when I plan to set off.

No, Byron, I don't think I'll be weaned off the sea, the EA, 8kph and BSS will ensure that. Been there, done that, got the T shirt! I'd have to change back to a narrow boat. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'd have to change back to a narrow boat. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Go stand in a corner after having washed your mouth out with Carbolic soap. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif