70 odd narrowboats..

TrueBlue

Visit site
Ya Boo sucks to Byron (in the best possible taste), so assuming this is not a troll, I'll continue.
Where is EA you ask (a bit like God - but I must stay away from that topic), it's everywhere. The address I gave is a dingy hut behind the lockkeeper's cottage at Shepperton - but he's only a contact - is that what you mean?

The yard (with dry dock) is at Fordbridge Road TW16 6.. I've got a lovely aerial shot of the yard from MS Virtual Earth, but can't print it to a PDF or give you an accurate map reference. It that what you meant.

If you've got a lot of boats at irregular intervals, then for economy you really want somewhere with a resident crane, and I don't think the Environment Agency is that commercial and there is no resident crane at that site. However, not only would it be great to see some craft (of whatever sort) from further afield, but it might also be close to Mrs McKeever's heart 'cos she says she wants to increase the rivers use.

Methinks a lot more research is necessary. For the time being I'm a bit stumped for anything different.

As a flyer and not quite so accessible The National Trust have a yard (quite small) on the River Wey which would take narrow and wide beam boats. Its available for hire for a reasonable sum and it's a very pleasant stretch of water to cruise (once).

It's a day down to the Thames and a transit license can be had for a fiver. The wharf is Cartbridge Wharf, Send, Surrey. Off the A3.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I talked to the bloke, having been in transport qite a few years ago. It's not poo, makes alot of sence.

Contract with MOD as can be expected, is quite spacific.

So he's doing cash in hand through the club. It's understood, trucks wont hang about. But at least they will all know where there going. As trucks arrive, the next boat will be in place, ready for lifting or unloading. Being a club, he has all there phone numbers.

It has been made very plain that, if boats are not ready to be lifted, the truck will go at an appointed time, empty.

I'm not really into this ditch crawling thing, just that Debs is. But the transport issue, I found interesting and makes a whole lot of sence.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Thanks. I'll pass your info on. Being as MOD are paying, and it does seem quite open ended. In that cranes and equipment are quite easy to aquire on account. The odd meal on the Mway is not. Typical.

So as the contract is written. It seems it would be quite ok to have a crane on permenant standby for the persievable future. May onwards. Just need to know where.
MOD is quite understandable of problems enroute so indeed require the ability to have various depots where trans shipmance can take place. Only thing they ask, is the places must be notifide before hand, so they can put security in place. All involved willing of course.