6 months away - should I rent the house?

LaurenceK

Visit site
We are off playing for the next 6 months and can't decide if we should let the house (pretty little fishermans cottage 100 yds from the sea) the or not. I have put it up on the For Sale forum but would love to hear of any one elses experience.

Newbieknownowt

Visit site
Might take you 6 months to sell in this market. If it's as pretty as you say - why not do holiday lets? Some friends who live in the Peak District have let their place this way whilst husband's on 2-year assignment in Paris. I'm not sure if they cover their mortgage costs but the capital value of the house is still there, they don't have problems of vetting tenants and they can specify the weeks they want to use the place for themselves.

DAKA

Visit site
I have flats to let and I manage them myself after been let down by Agents.
In this area (NE) quality of tenants is poor. Pair of School teachers wrecked the joint(eg/ complained of a leak that my plumber couldnt find, it was then established they were leaving the shower curtain outside the shower tray)
I wouldnt let my own house, it is bad enough having the inlaws round at Christmas.
Holiday lets sound a good idea, let us know how you get on.

HeadMistress

Visit site
6 months is a long time to let a house sit empty...better to have someone there to keep an eye on things and discourage burglars. Otoh, I'd have the same reservations about renting to strangers that you have. Do you have any friends you could trust to "house sit?" Even friends of friends would be better than renting, 'cuz your friends would have to face you if their friends didn't take care of the place.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Unless you want to face a carnage of devestation on your return. Dont rent it. You might be lucky. But I've had to totally refurbish houses that have been rented for far less than 6 months, the latest disaster worked for a bank.!!

JKay

Visit site
I let a furnished property overseas once and it was loverly and clean .

cleaned out nix,nuffink all gone,never again

cheers Joe

ArthurWood

Visit site
Rent it; get a good agent (or a good friend) who will hold 1- 2 months' rent as surety and arrange contract. 6 mo. is the minimum for a lease, other than a holiday let. I agee with Peggie, 6 mo. is a long time to leave a house empty.

Medskipper

Visit site
Yep, I agree with Peggie! I rent a property of my own and two others for my brother. I would not bother for a six month period, too much hassle and the damage you could come back to may be more than the rent that you receive is worth!
The other problem is that when the tenant is actually in your house, they could be forever complaining about what needs fixing! and your agent would be forever billing you for stuff that you would not bother getting fixed yourself.
The best property to try and let is a one/two bedroom flat or apartment which is less than ten years of age, so is almost maintenance free. Any equipment i.e. dishwasher, washing machine, dryer etc. will have to be almost new as well or I can bet you will have to be replacing it shortly after your tenant complains its not working!

Good Luck

Barry

HeadMistress

Visit site
A house sitter shouldn't be just a squatter...but should pay the utilities they're using, keep the grass cut, etc...even look after pets. They just don't pay any rent. In fact, in the larger cities here in the US there are even professional house sitters, with references (which they won't get if they don't take proper care of a house). They're typically older single people, but occasionally couples, who've chosen to "travel light" in retirement and enjoy frequent changes of scenery, living in homes beyond their own means, etc.