50mm OD pipe

rsallo

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to find without much success 50mm outside diameter plastic pipe (ABS, PVC, etc..) to replace an old one in the boat - it brings the chain from the chain pipe to the chain locker under the forward V-berth.

B&Q and other DIY and plumbing retailers sell standard pipe labeled as 50mm (together with 32mm, 40mm, etc..), but that is the inside diameter, not the outside one.

Does anyone know where could I find some, near Southampton if possible?

Many thanks!

prv

Visit site
I have a vague recollection that of the two kinds of waste pipe (push-fit and solvent-weld), one kind is measured by OD and one by ID. This is to prevent pushfit pipe being accidentally used in solvent-weld fittings, as the material isn't compatible. I imagine Been&Queued only has a small selection of 50mm pipe as it's uncommon in domestic fitting - if they only have one kind perhaps the other will suit? BES is a well-known trade supplier (but sell to anyone).

Pete

trevora

Visit site
Have you considered exhaust/heater hose? A bit of a pricy option maybe but I'd guess you only need a metre or so. At a guess 1 3/8 inch ID would be about 50mm overall but I would check that with the supplier.

kalindi

Visit site
You can get pressure rated pipe for water and gas applications that is specified by OD. The problem being that 50mm is not a common size in the UK and the wall thickness may reduce the bore below your requirements. But if you know of a water company depot near you they might have some offcuts etc.

DownWest

Visit site
Odd, it is a standard waste size in PVC here, obviously not in UK. Local Brico Depot (Kingfisher, AKA B&Q) sells it in lengths from a metre up.
A

rsallo

Visit site
Thanks everyone for all the answers.

I've gone to Pipe Center following a suggestion from a colleague, and they had it. As I only needed a short length (a bit less than one meter) and their pipes were 6 meters long, the guy at the counter has managed to find a scrap piece in the warehouse and given it for free. Excellent service!

At the moment I'll carry on using pipe but if it becomes too noisy, then I'll give the hose a try.

Thanks again