500+ kids descend on Tedd !

Time Out

Visit site
Thanks to social media more than 500 kids descended upon Tedd lock yesterday.

Swimming over to the weir and IN the barge lock !! Utter chaos. Police never stood a chance

Attachments

• 33C0788A-C5C1-4B40-9D3E-D2332BA828BD.jpeg
    33C0788A-C5C1-4B40-9D3E-D2332BA828BD.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 112

Fjord John

Visit site
Thanks to social media more than 500 kids descended upon Tedd lock yesterday.

Swimming over to the weir and IN the barge lock !! Utter chaos. Police never stood a chance
Hi TO

We came up from St Kats that hot day, planned to overnight in Teddington but thought better of it when we saw the chaos there, including kids jumping off a bemused narrow boat owner’s boat. I think he also decided to move on, wise chap.

Lower Limit 1909

Visit site
If previous years are anything to go by (and the weather stays dry) then the next 3 - 4 weekends will be similar before it all quietens down again. (Previous years have seen a dispersal zone set up with large numbers of police drafted in so this may yet happen).

I'd certainly avoid making plans to overnight here Fri/Sat for a few weeks. There were a few cars damaged on adjoining roads by teenagers jumping on them as well.

oldgit

Visit site
.........................kids were not like that in my day they were well behaved and just stuck to slashing bus seats and wrecking cinemas after watching some overweight bloke with kiss curl in "Rock around the Clock" or was it fighting each other in Margate.........time dims the memory ? and the blokes were even worse .
Stick em in the army was is the usual cry....until it was pointed out you would then have an army of disaffected youth who were trained to hurt people. :)
Yes Minister.
Was approached a week or two ago by a boater asking if I intended to remained moored up in a town centre, he was worried about staying there alone as the only boat.
Have been mooring in that location many times and have heard frequent stories about problems there, have yet to meet anybody who could give a first hand account.
More recently tales about stones being thrown at passing boats.

Last edited:

Time Out

Visit site
Having lived here all my life (obviously been here, there and everywhere in between!) the gatherings now are nothing like years gone by. Large groups from far away were alerted by social media. Yes, the local kids are here too but many are here to fight as demonstrated by the knife attack that eve.

These are not the kids that would jump from the main bridge this is literally hundreds swimming the entire length of the lock cut and beyond including the lock itself! swimming to weir, SITTING on the weir itself! climbing on anyone's boat, or pontoon with little regard for the owner's property.

Some WILL drown or get hit if they continue in these numbers. The dispersal area only lasts so long.

You just cannot relax knowing that each and every person in that water could go under at any time.

I have no issue with swimming in the river if that's your thing but it needs to be done in the right place and in the right way.

Minerva

Visit site
Damn those pesky kids, out enjoying the good weather and themselves! What right do they have to enjoy the local environment?!

oldgit

Visit site
Damn those pesky kids, out enjoying the good weather and themselves! What right do they have to enjoy the local environment?!
Kids!

I don't know what's wrong with these kids today!
Kids!
Who can understand anything they say?
Kids!
They are so ridiculous and immature!
I don't see why anybody wants 'em!
Just you wait and see
Kids!
Kids! They are just impossible to control!
(Soon you'll be old enough to be)
Kids! With their awful clothes and their rock an' roll!
(Another teenage delinquent)
Why can't they be like you were,
Perfect in every way?
What's the matter with kids to--
Kids!
What the devil's wrong with these kids today?
Kids!
Who could guess the they would turn out that way!
Why can't they be like we were,
Perfect in every way?
What's the matter with kids?
What's the matter with kids?
What's the matter with kids today?

All they have to do is to buy a gin palace and find £5000 a year to moor it ?

SandyP

Visit site
Perhaps if you (pretended to) empty your elsan into the river just upstream?

Yeah, exams are ending, lots of stress to release

Time Out

Visit site
was just thinking........................why not get them all interested in rowing !

Never going to happen, they are just interested in boozing by the river, these are inner city kids with zero interest in anything other than being a pain in the back side. yes there are local kids too but Teddington does not have THAT many teenagers living here ;)

Lower Limit 1909

Visit site
Not unexpectedly a section 35 anti-social behaviour crime and policing order has been put in place covering the entire river from Richmond to Hampton Court.

zone.jpg

"A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said:

"Police in Richmond are warning parents to stay aware of where children are going and what they are doing after a spate of anti-social behaviour and serious crime in the borough last week.
Last Friday school-children gathered at Teddington Lock after an event arranged on social media. While most of those who attended were not from Richmond, several offences including a sexual touching offence, a number of assaults and dangerous behaviour such as jumping from Teddington Lock bridge occurred."

Ian E

Visit site
Are there any other overnight non-tidal moorings near Teddington? I’m planning a trip to St Kats and would be great to hear if there are other moorings available.

Time Out

Visit site
Are there any other overnight non-tidal moorings near Teddington? I’m planning a trip to St Kats and would be great to hear if there are other moorings available.

Not really unless you go to Kingston, you are better off calling Howard at Teddington Harbour which is in the Tedd Weir stream, floating pontoon (locked) and direct access to the high street as well as saving time as you are below the lock.

0208 977 9978

Time Out

Visit site
Here is Tedd Harbour this morn.

iPhone posts it sideways

Attachments

• DEA6F06F-06A0-4484-BBE3-CE81C2AD75A2.jpeg
    DEA6F06F-06A0-4484-BBE3-CE81C2AD75A2.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 40