4 stroke outboard for First 211

buracchio

Visit site
I just bought a second hand Beneteau First 211. Now I need to buy a new outboard motor, possibly 8 Hp. Given my preference for 4 stroke engines and the maximum weight of 40 kilos, what is the best tecnical choice on the market?
And what about the propeller? Also, is a remote control a wise idea?
I'll appreciate your help. <font color="black"> </font>

cameronke

Visit site
Hello Michele

Welcome to the forum!

Not entirely familiar with the First 211 but I fitted a Honda 8 to my 21ft E-Boat last summer.

I am very impressed with it, the fuel consumption is unbelievable and it is very quiet; I have a problem in that I can not tell wether or not the engine is running when casting off. I have more than adequate power for my light 20 footer and usually cruise at about 5-6 kts at fractional throttle

I had the remote control option so I can start/stop and throttle from within the cockpit. I was hoping to link the swivle of the outboard to the rudder for optimum manoevereablity (canny spell!) under power but have not yet come up with a satisfactory mechanism. These motors can come in a high thrust configuration for applications such as ours.

I am really pleased with this engine and would not hesitate to reccomend it!

Hope this helps,
Regards
Cameron

capt_courageous

Visit site
We had outboards on our boats for years. I would stick to the mainstream manufactureres say Honda or Mariner. I fitted low pitch props mainly for reverse performance. They are theoretically a better match for a sailing boat but who knows. Having spent the money on one I convinced myself it was a good idea. If you can stretch to it remotes and electric start are very useful - in that order. Remotes make mooring etc. a lot easier. If you mean a new 'new' motor I think it has to be 4 stroke anyway.

capt_courageous

Visit site
Cameronke

I know they say it is not a good idea but I fixed our outboard so it could NOT swivel. I gave up trying to come up with good ideas for using it for better maneo (whatever). I just used the remotes as for an inboard.

cameronke

Visit site
Agree Captain!

My previous engine had been a Johnston Seahorse with handle, Really miss the manoeverability when I could swing the engine. The boat could virtually turn within its own length

regards
Cameron

danera

dixdesign.com
I used to have an 8hp Mariner on my first 211 until it got stolen last winter and I found it to be total overkill. I now have a 6hp Mariner 4stroke which I'm very happy with, though I did try to get the Tohatsu which is the same engine, but cheaper. The Tohatsu comes with a high thrust propellor as standard on the sailmate model - I had this fitted to the Mariner by the dealer and it works a treat.

I reckoned the 5hp would more than enough and I never get anywhere near full revs on the 6hp, but for £100 more and no difference in weight the 6 bought me a bit of piece of mind!

AndCur

Visit site
Hi

I would have to agree about the comments regarding the Mariner 6hp 4 stroke as I have used one of these engines to power my Achilles 24 for the last 3 seasons. They are easy on fuel and would be well up to the job of powering a First 211.It would be worth keeping the engine weight as low as possible as any extra weight hanging on the stern will effect performance under sail.

Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

oakleyb

Visit site
How did you deal with the venting of the remote fuel tank, mine is currently located in cockpit locker but i'm thinking of venting to atmos

BlueMan

Visit site
For six years up until last month I had a Honda 5 on a Legend 240. It was VERY reliable and ran all day at full throttle with very low fuel consumption. However, it was a bit underpowered in stronger winds (F5+) and was always coming out of the water in waves (one of the joys of a transom hung outboard). I love Hondas but for some bizarre reason they do not sell XL shaft length engines in the UK, only Short and Long. I did find a dealer a couple of years ago at the Southampton Boat Show who reckoned he could import them but he never called back!
If you are sailing in any kind of waves (even Solent chop) then i would look at manufacturers who do proper XL shaft lengths such as Yamaha, look for a big prop high thrust version, and go for at least 6HP, maybe 8HP if not too heavy. If I had my time again i would probably have gone for the extra long high thrust Yamaha 8HP. If only Honda would reconsider their daft policy.
I now have a new 31ft yacht with an 18HP Yanmar so no personal axe to grind on this subject any longer.

I hope this helps.

cameronke

Visit site
Hi Joanie

Hadn't really considered that. Mine lives in the stern locker with no extra venting. I do open the locker and allow air to circulate. Sounds like same set up as you.

Regards
Cameron

Johnboy2004

Visit site
hi there i have a beneteau first 211. i have a 5hp honda 4 stroke engine
and its perfect for the boat.

i know of a 211 with a honda 8hp engine, and its too heavy and big, also
the engine trails behind in the water as it cannot be fully lifted out...

the honda 5hp is perfect.

it also comes with a charging anternator to charge your batteries.
make sure you get the short shaft version though

buracchio

Visit site
I read you suggested the short shaft version for Honda 5 HP outboard. I'm not used to outbords on sailing boat (I'm a former owner of a larger boat with an inboard diesel engine), but I usually see the long shaft configuration in use.
Actually the external transom on my First 211 in quite low on water line (300 mm. on the water, 450 mm. total lenght), but the the device can be lifted... What's about waves: does the propeller come sometimes out of water?
Last question: what do you think of the BlueMan observation: 5 HP is underpowered in wind force 5+ (I'm going to use my boat in the windy Sardinia Island)?
Many thanks <font color="black"> </font>

oakleyb

Visit site
I'm thinking of building cotained box out of upvc facia and venting from there, my locker has access into the bilge and i'm a bit concerned over fumes etc

wicked

www.evolution26.org
I had a 8hp Honda 4 stroke in a well on my 26 footer which was ok, quiet, fuel efficient but very heavy. I've changed it now for the new 9.8HP Tohatsu 4 stroke which is a bit lighter and seems much more powerful, particularly with a lower pitched prop. It's cheaper than the Honda equivalent as well.

The newest Hondas are better in reverse as they no longer vent the exhaust through the prop when you engage reverse, so you are in with a better chance of stopping.

Dave