3rd Party Insurance - Success !!

tarik

Visit site
Good news, after phoning what seemed to be the whole UK insurance industry I got through to a very helpful young man at

Haven Knox Johnston 01732 223600 - ask to speak to Kim.

I told him of my intended singlehanded Jester trip to the Azores next year (and then across to Gibraltar) he seemed very interested, took my details and spoke to the Underwriter who was in the same office - and immediately came back with a firm quote.

You could have heard my sigh of relief, what a pleasure to deal with a firm who is interested in helping rather than dreaming up all sorts of reasons for not covering me.

I am not happy about going that far without cover and the thought of meeting some Portugese/Spanish jobsworth would not do a lot for international relations.

The price quoted to me for my boat ( Colvic Atlanta) was £140 plus ins tax for this year UK/Europe and £200 plus tax for next year to cover me to Azores/Gib. I think that is very reasonable for peace of mind. Granted you can get some cheaper quotes for UK cover but those I have spoken to (about ten companies) won't touch the Azores etc.

They will have me business - I offered to change the name to Suhali ll bit it wasn't neccessary !!

Good luck

David

helixkimara

Visit site
Hi,

Does that policy cover the "single handed part" from U.K waters to Azores waters. i.e the Ocean.
I managed to get cover in 2008 for the Azores but not the single handed ocean bit. (with a different insurance co.)

That particular company your talking about said "They wouldn't and didn't even insure Robin Knox Johnson for his round the world race on a yacht NAMED after them".

regards
Malcome

tarik

Visit site
Malcolme - copy of my original message

Good morning,

I am looking for Third Party insurance for my Colvic Atlanta 31' ketch re my proposed single handed voyage from the UK to the Azores and then across to Gibraltar.

Would you be prepared to quote me and if so how much?

QUOTE=helixkimara;2885528]Hi,

Does that policy cover the "single handed part" from U.K waters to Azores waters. i.e the Ocean.
I managed to get cover in 2008 for the Azores but not the single handed ocean bit. (with a different insurance co.)

That particular company your talking about said "They wouldn't and didn't even insure Robin Knox Johnson for his round the world race on a yacht NAMED after them".

regards
Malcome[/QUOTE]

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I take it that comprehensive cover is even harder to find for this? I've not looked into it yet....

I had comprehensive insurance last year to the US and back with a specific mention of both single handed and Jester Challenge in the quote. I carried a significant excess and the 3rd party insurance went down to £300,000 within 20 miles of the US and within US waters. I took the insurance because I would prefer to have an insurance company fighting in the US courts rather than myself .

It was through Edward William, which seems to be both Spanish and UK based - I paid the bill to their Norfolk office. At first I was dubious about their claims record but enquiries resulted in the fact that they have done the right thing with claims in the past.

I was only after 3rd party insurance but they preferred to quote on comprehensive with a significant excess, so I took that.

John Margarson had comprehensive insurance on 'Fluffy' through a Southampton based broker, whose name escapes me, but they sponsor the Solo Offshore Racing Conference. I also sought a quote from them but it was about 40% more than Edward William.

Pete_M

www.maidofmettle.wordpress.com
It was through Edward William, which seems to be both Spanish and UK based - I paid the bill to their Norfolk office. At first I was dubious about their claims record but enquiries resulted in the fact that they have done the right thing with claims in the past.

I was only after 3rd party insurance but they preferred to quote on comprehensive with a significant excess, so I took that.

I have used them for single-handed cruising in a Tom Thumb 24 (about 28' overall) from the Canaries back to the UK via the Azores (they were also willing to cover an Atlantic crossing). Can't comment on racing or claims.

Myk

Visit site
Just got off the phone with Haven Knox-Johnston. No joy. Where has anyone else managed to get cover for Transatlantic Challenge.

hrchivers

Visit site
I had comprehensive cover for JAC 2012 from Fastnet Marine, as did at least two others; I've been with them a couple of years and they certainly knew all about Jester. They were straightforward to deal with, and very quick to provide cover for things I hadn't considered at renewal time - such as cover for a hired liferaft.

Talking to other Jesters I think one was covered by Pantaenius, but don't know of other companies.

nicholas49

Visit site
3rd party insurance-success!

Hi, I was covered for Azores this year by Pantaenius, they charged me an extra £60 or so on top of my normal premium-all comprehensive.My policy with them, which I have had since2007 covers me for single-handed to Ireland anyway. They said they would not insure me for transat, as they do not cover low value boats on a trip of that sort
Best Wishes, Nick(Dolphin of Fowey)