3mm x 20mm wood strips

Shuggy

Visit site
I need to replace some hardwood capping pieces in our galley with new hardwood. Ideally teak but I'm not too fussy - I can stain lighter wood if required. The section size is 3mm x 20mm (of various lengths up to about a metre) but I can't find anything online. Any tips or suggestions please? I don't want to use stainless steel, which is one obvious alternative.

I also don't have a bandsaw or anything similar.

Many thanks.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I need to replace some hardwood capping pieces in our galley with new hardwood. Ideally teak but I'm not too fussy - I can stain lighter wood if required. The section size is 3mm x 20mm (of various lengths up to about a metre) but I can't find anything online. Any tips or suggestions please? I don't want to use stainless steel, which is one obvious alternative.

I also don't have a bandsaw or anything similar.

Many thanks.
Robbins do 6x20mm https://www.robbins.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Retail-Price-Guide-2.pdf
Look for "lipping".
I guess 3mm is a bit fragile to ship.

Shuggy

Visit site
Thanks - missed that. I guess I could sand them down a bit to make them less prominent. Still open to other ideas.

Tranona

Visit site
3mm is not stable enough to be a stock size. 6mm is the common one for teak, but few people stock that either although Howells have 18*6mm radiused capping.

Band saw is a good investment if you do a lot. I have cut all sorts of sections including cappings for my current refit project including many metres of 12*4mm in iroko for framing sliding doors in the galley. The timber was a stair handrail over 50 years old and removed from my house 30 years ago!

Not a lot of help but just shows what can be doneIMG_20230406_171312.jpg

Shuggy

Visit site
Folks - many thanks for all the advice and offers of help but I think that Stripwood website has exactly what I'm after. I'm going to go shopping now!

Shuggy

ETA - it might not do but I can't delete my post :eek:

Visit site
Hi Shuggy, just in case you don't get what you need from the Stripwood website... last year I stumbled across an ebayer called Nigel, his page is here SawdustandWax | eBay Stores. He doesn't always have anything listed on ebay but if you message him he can supply bespoke pieces of hardwood cut to specific sizes and does so at prices far below any main outlets that I know of, and you get a nice personal service via email.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Absolutely, and I was lucky enough to be around at the right time to buy some of it.:cool:

I had some oak left over from a fitout contract I had in the House of lords. I used the left over Oak to form 12 of the broken ribs of my Stella. I clearly missed a trick. Seems I should have said " Built with English oak left over from the House of Lords":rolleyes:
:D:D:D:D