32-34ft fast cruiser wanted - any suggestions?

PaulR

Home West Sussex, Boat on Mooring in Gosport
Visit site
we went through similar considerations when choosing our current boat - had to sail really well - look good and be ok for space for family of 5 - as well as most of the designs mentioned above we looked at scanmars (liked the 345 especially) , we bought (and love) our dehler 34 which having owned 5 yachts is for us our best yet by far - sails beautifully - built superbly and does exactly what we expected and hoped it would - downsides - well as children (and us!) got bigger would be great to have more space but in practise that not a big enough factor to make us want to either lose performance by having a larger volume modern boat which from our experience sails less well or a bigger overall and more expensive boat .

michael_w

Visit site
If you can find one, a Contessa 33. Beautiful Rob Humphrys 7/8 cruiser-racer. Excellent construction eg: Kevlar reinforced bows interior by Conran in oak.

Not to be confused with the 32 or the 34/OOD.

I used to race mine with some success short handed. Later SWMBO and I did an Atlantic circuit with her.

Modulation

Visit site
you could go for a beneteau First 32s5. Although she's geared more to racing than cruising - bendy mast, lots of sail etc, rod rigging, needs early reefing etc - she's really speedy and feels very rewarding to sail. Having owned slowish boats for years I got one 10 years ago and have never felt disappointed with her. And her accommodation is very good for cruising.
If you do go for one I'd watch out for sail condition (old stretched sails will let her down) and age of rigging (if more than 8 years, get a quote for renewal and negotiate price of boat accordingly)

Brendan /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

rudolph_hart

Visit site
Two more votes here for Dehler 34 (I've had two and the accomodation layout differred greatly). Also, if you want a potential investment, try to find an S&S 34 - but don't look beneath the companionway for the engine - or maybe even a SHE 36 (another S&S design) in need of TLC.