30th April - 2nd May

byron

RIP
Visit site
As someone who was involved from the start, attendance dropped from well in excess of 100 craft to the 50s. Couple this with a lack of people coming forward to run the event (myself included) and the eventual demise was a certainty.
Yes! It is a crying shame even though in my view too much emphasis was placed on competitions and not enough on plain fun events.

Ramage

Visit site
As someone who was involved from the start, attendance dropped from well in excess of 100 craft to the 50s. Couple this with a lack of people coming forward to run the event (myself included) and the eventual demise was a certainty.
Yes! It is a crying shame even though in my view too much emphasis was placed on competitions and not enough on plain fun events.

Which is pretty much what I (and others) said at meetings held after the last TVR.

Even though my family were involved in boat handling competitions at the TVR (& ATYC rally), it stood out a mile that most rally attendees were FAR more interested in the social side of things, and that if there were to be competitive events some of them should be more light hearted. Suggestions were things like blindfold tender rowing, tug of war etc.

We could even have a most sunburnt skipper competition, but I suspect "No Regrets" would win that too....... ;)

Brayman

Visit site
The social acitivites at the TVR were the main attraction in latter years but competition had to maintained even at the "dumbed down" level it finished at.

As Byron said one of the main reasons for its demise was the lack of people coming forward to organise the event, couple that with a reducing number of sponsors and Copas more than doubling the cost of renting the site just about did for it.

This year would have been dificult to run as it would have been this weekend, with Easter only one week before and the Royal Wedding today I think it would have been difficult to get a good turn out.

Ramage

Visit site
Not...the TVR....

Well, sitting here on my boat on the evening of Sunday 1st May I have to say that ODCC's drop in rally has been an excellent event. The company has been convivial, and the weather pretty good for the time of year (if a little windy).

Many thanks to Pande for her organisation.

Dodgy photos to follow. :)

Last edited:

No Regrets

Visit site
Nice one Emma! :D

That was a fair old turnout in the end, I reckon 15 Boats, which is a third of the last TVR Rally!

Despite the biting wind, it was warm enough for a while, and we had a good old time for virtually zero cost, and revived a few old friendships.

Even Boatone managed to get down!

Ramage

Visit site
And here are some pics of the weekend...
GJC_2740.jpg

GJC_2741.jpg

GJC_2742.jpg

GJC_2743.jpg

GJC_2744.jpg

GJC_2748.jpg

GJC_2755.jpg

GJC_2756.jpg

GJC_2757.jpg

GJC_2758.jpg

GJC_2759.jpg

GJC_2761.jpg

GJC_2764.jpg

pande

Visit site
Well thanks guys but I don't really know what I did apart from put it up on here and talk about it an awful lot.
I enjoyed the weekend that much that I've only just got home (I did have to work today!!)
I was very proud of myself taking Tops (even if it was only 500yds :eek: ) but it is a little frightening when you haven't driven her for 10yrs or so. Thanks to my crew and rope catchers - you know who you are :D )

Emma