30-35ft with aft cabin - which?

willtaylor

Visit site
My wife and I are contemplating 'upsizing' to a 30-35ft cruising yacht. We like the idea of aft cabins and centre cockpits (family - grandchildren) and comfprtable accommodation, but do not want to compromise too much on seakindliness. There are all sorts of suitable fantasy craft but most are beyond our realistic budget (up to 40000 sterling). We find ourselves considering the likes of Warrior 35 and Moody 33 Mark 2 or 333. The Warrior has a reassuringly traditional form but a rather pokey saloon The Moody 33 seems less extreme than later craft and feels quite solid, but we have friends with greater resources and who are quite scornful about both. Can anybody offer opinion, prejudice, advice, alternatives - whatever?

G

See this months Sailing Today re Macwester wight's. The comments may be because these are generally motor sailers and a bit slow, but bomb proof, big engine, lots of room. I would speculate that this is because traditional shaped performace boats had fine runs aft and long overhangs which didn't suit aft cabins and ideas didn't change untill attrocities such as cabins under cockpits. It is however possible if rare to find quick c/c boats, we have one which was a one off, the downside is onlt 5ft headroom aft but would be a superb den for grand children
Good luck

Roly, Voya Con Dios, Glasson, Lancaster

Modulation

Visit site
I've got a Beneteau 32s5.
Not an obvious first choice but more stable than you'd think.
Most of my family are reluctant crew but like this boat because its reasonably heavy displacement (so not dinghy-like) but has a huge spread of sail when needed.
At least have a look at one.

Brendan

B

bob_tyler

Have you thought of a Nauticat 33. Beautifully built, heavy displacement and a big diesel to get you home when there is no wind.

Robin

Visit site
The Westerly 33 centre-cockpit designed by Laurent Giles is absolutely perfect for what you need and I just happen to have one for sale! The advert will be in the next YM mag. Ours is the actual one (fin keel ketch version) road tested by PBO in June 1997 issue 366 pages 43-45 and also pictured on page 45 of the current Nov issue (Heartbeat). This is a very seakindly design, heavy build and very good sailor especially set up like ours is with fully battened main and mizzen. Accomadation is double forecabin, double and single main cabin and 2 singles in the stern cabin. Proper sea berths with lee boards. Ours has been re-engined with a Volvo MD22L 4 cylinder 50hp (most will have original Mercedes 42hp). The extras list on ours is huge and she is in lovely condition afloat in Poole. If you want more info send me a personal message via this board and we can exchange emails/tel numbers. If you are looking for centre cockpit of this size I think the W33 is perfect, its why we kept ours for 14 years before finding a suitable bigger new love to spend even more money on.

G

I've got a Meridian 31 and its a great centre cockpit, long keeler. If your thinking along the Warrior, Moody lines look at Westery's 33 or the 36 Conway. Another good strong sailing boat is the old Halberg Rassy 35. Or the Neptunian 33, Barbary ketch 35. Most of these are with in your price range.

chas

Visit site
Certainly the Moody 33 would fit your spec. It has one of the largest cockpits for the size and is very dry. It is built like the proverbial and sails well.