25-26 foot sailing boat without a dinette.

Concerto

Visit site
It's good there's someone prepared to stand up for us serfs.
Cor, did you hear that a wealthy boat owner thinks he is a serf. Possible quote from a newspaper headlne. LOL I know there is a wide spectrum of boat owners from all stratas of society, some very wealthy and many on a shoestring, plus the majority somewhere between..

Topcat47

Visit site
Cor, did you hear that a wealthy boat owner thinks he is a serf. Possible quote from a newspaper headlne. LOL I know there is a wide spectrum of boat owners from all stratas of society, some very wealthy and many on a shoestring, plus the majority somewhere between..

Where did you get the idea I was wealthy from? I'm a pensioner, I sail a 56 year old boat; keep it at a club, not a marina, and do 90% of the maintenance myself. I have no illusions. Were this the 15th century I'd not be one of the knobs, I'd be the swineherd, living in an earth hovel, eating turnips. :ROFLMAO:

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Like Topcat47, I’m a boat owner, but very far from wealthy, my boat is over 40 years old, I do all my own maintenance it’s moored in a drying harbour where the local council ‘whacks ‘ up the mooring fees every year to an extent that I may have to sell, my pension (I’m 75) doesn’t extend to such an extent that I can endlessly pay the increasing fees, I am sure that there are many on this forum in much the same situation.

Last edited:

Kelpie

Visit site
I enjoyed reading that but a pity that she’s a lefty.
Your comment made me curious enough to click through and rest the link, which I enjoyed a lot.
She didn't say anything about redistribution of wealth and means of production. Not sure where you're getting the idea that she's a lefty.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Unless the dinette is part of an internal moulding (aka Centaur, later Sadler 25 etc.) but is timber construction, why not just remove it and reit the cabin to ones own preference, it would widen the choice of boats considerably.

DoubleEnder

Visit site
Unless the dinette is part of an internal moulding (aka Centaur, later Sadler 25 etc.) but is timber construction, why not just remove it and reit the cabin to ones own preference, it would widen the choice of boats considerably.
True Possibly. But altering original layout may damage resale values. And it is not easy to designed efficient, useable practical interiors in a small boat. Easy to get it wrong. I’d rather find a boat that was designed the way I like it

steve62

Visit site
Yes Other requirements: I’d like reasonable mod cons for me and the missus, as much in harbour as at sea. We would just be cruising the Solent, maybe a little further west, probably no more than coastal jaunts. Maybe the very occasional overnight but mostly day sails from port to port.

So an enclosed, useable heads.
As much headroom as possible, I am about 5’10” though shrinking hahaha. Close to that would be great.
Room for a cooker with grill, ideally an oven too.
A saloon table.
Two nice settee berths.
An engine that has good access, not squeezed in to a horrible hole.
No dinette.
This is all speculative! I won’t be doing anything for 6 or more likely 12 months, not before I am offered a mooring. And I have some other stuff to deal with too - even if I got the mooring now I would have to wait. But it’s fun to look at what might be around.

The Hunter and the MG Spring are interesting. There is also a Hunter Ranger 245 that looks as though it might be comfortable. I believe the British Hunter yachts are well thought of. But older boats could be good too.
£20k all in? Including upgrades eg new sails. I do like decent sails, but for a smaller, cruising boat shouldn’t be horrifically expensive. And quite likely some new upholstery, but I’d probably only replace the settee cushions that we would use. No point putting posh stuff in the quarterberth. So with inflation that means £50k in 2024. I guess
A Mirage 26 fits the bill. fold up saloon table, 6ft headroom, enclosed heads