24 volt fridge

idpnd

www.svlibertalia.com
Hello,

my 24 volt fridge has just died, it's quite a sizeable household style fridge with a DANFOSS compressor.

I've been looking at WAECO and VITOFRIGO replacements here in France, and they are horribly expensive (EUR 850+!).

Is that just how much these things cost or do I need look further?

Thanks for your time :)

ccscott49

Visit site
TSS not fun - even with AIS ;)

Thanks for further hinting - caravan ones also seem pricey at that size.

In case anyone stumbles across this thread, Shoreline UK make semi-affordable ones

Do you have an inverter If you have a good one, consider buying a mains domestic fridge, a hell of a lot cheaper and work fine, well my fridge and freezer do, running in the meddy, running on inverter, total cost for both was 258 quid. Inverters these days, especially pure sine wave are about 94% efficient. I can live with that. Plus of course, free standing, air cooled domestic fridges have the same insulation as "marine" ones. The ones you show in your other post, are definitely no better insulated than domestic.

Last edited:

idpnd

www.svlibertalia.com
Thanks for the further replies, I haven't got time to build one, thanks Lady in Bed/Red.. maybe one day, I've got visions of a super thick holding panel vacuum padded zero energy model brewing away ;)

But for the time being, I need a quick solution since summer's approaching and I want to go sailing

I had actually splashed out EUR 800 here in France but the supplier told me it would take 6 weeks to get it (not intending on staying for that long).

Since I have a 1500 watt inverter, I thought why not household (CScott - I really did make it up myself), did a google search if anyone had done it, and found my own thread again full circle - with your response :D

Again, thanks very much for the updates, I'm off to town to find some super eco rated household fridge

Last edited:

charles_reed

Visit site
Hello,

my 24 volt fridge has just died, it's quite a sizeable household style fridge with a DANFOSS compressor.

I've been looking at WAECO and VITOFRIGO replacements here in France, and they are horribly expensive (EUR 850+!).

Is that just how much these things cost or do I need look further?

Thanks for your time :)
The compressor units are all ac.

They run on 12v - 24v dc, thanks to a solid-state unit made by Indel Isotherm in Italy.

It's unlikely the Danfoss compressor unit had died, it's usually one of the 2 electronic units - they do cost, the last pair I got cost me €480.

The Italians have just been bought out by German Webasto. (in tthe last 6 months)

Here's the new website
http://www.indelwebastomarine.com/home/en/html/homepage.html