23 ft yachts below 10k

G

Which is the best yacht around 23ft & under £10k for a myself, 2 kids wife & maybe a couple of friends.
Is roller reefing (genoa) etc a real must have, or nice to have.
Ideally I'd like standing room, safe sea kindly passage & low maintenance (i.e. a boat with reputable build quality)
I'd be sailing along South Coast (Sussex area)
Thanks

G

Got just the boat. 1985 Virgo Voyager. Excellent nick. £8000

G

What have you to say about building quality?

Virgo 23 and Virgo Voyager later were built from 1973 to 1991. 18 years in production.
they were built to Lloyds standars
Virgos Voyager went to the Azores and back (you sould read one of the trips in www.virgo-owners.org)
They can go aground without damage (my own experience)
You could read the page 56 (Issue 31, November 1999) of Sailing Today "The Voyager was built by Newbridge boats, a company which gained an enviable reputation for producing attractively packaged small sailing cruisers".

G

Why say something rude. The postee is looking for boats under ten grand and the virgo is an excellent boat, extremely strong and safe. we sailed all summer in some awful winds and were never once in danger. I was being a bit cheeky but from where do you get your evidence? If you are going to bother replying. Say something useful or interesting. Incidently a recent addition to my family is the only reason we are selling to go bigger. Another Newbridge boat we might get is the pioneer. Another excellent boat.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I'm steering well clear of the above Newbridge argument. I don't think it'll particularly help you. By "best" I'm assuming you mean best for you , and therefore only by looking at a variety of boats can you make a decision as to what best suits your style of sailing. Try the Hurley 22 , Leisure 23 SL , Westerly GK24 and Westerly Warwick. All these boats offer something different and it might give you an idea as to what style of boat you like.

G

Have you considered the Hurley 24/70?

It has all the features you mentioned and has been recently reviewed in the June 2001 edition of Yachting Monthly.

Please contact me if you would like more info.

(via Hurley Owners Association)

Tony Knowles

derekgillard

Visit site
Have a look at the T24 designed by Guy Thompson and built on the East Coast they are a respected Sea going yacht I believe around 120 were built.

I sailed a T 24 for 15 years based in the Solent we went as far west as Falmouth and South to Jersey. In light winds it was a bit slow but in a blow it was a solid as you can get from a 24ft boat.

You can get one for around £5,000 to £6,000 if you can find one. Good luck let us know how you get on.

Del Buoy

lezgar

Visit site
Three years ago I was in your situation and my advise is
spend the winter looking boats and buy before next season
six people are too much for a 23ft boat (ok if you only want day o weekend sailing with four people)
look for standing headroom
Some boats was home finish and you will find different quality in the same type of boat
If you can, don't buy a very old boat and buy a boat with inboard diesel engine.
See a lot of boats and if the boats have previous surveys read them.

cynthia

Visit site
A bit bigger, but .... A friend has a First 24. Good accommodation including 2 cabins and a heads compartment, reasonable headroom and good sailing performance. Think you can get them for about 10 -11K

Whatever you select - enjoy it!!

Davydine

Visit site
If size is your main issue and you do not want much bigger than 23 feet then I would recommend a Leisure 23 or Leisure 23SL. They are a solidly built little cruising yacht with good accomodation for her size and a very active and supportive owners association. Alternatively you could look at a Macwester Rowan, another solidly built little ship. Both of these should be available with an inboard diesel for under £10K, the macwester will probalbly be less than the Leisure.

If you would like something a little bigger try a Macwester 26. Look for one built after 1975 as these had better designed, deeper keels and will make better way to windward.

None of the above boats are high performance yachts, but they are certainly solid and safe family cruisers.

Good Luck!,

David Walkerdine

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Consider also a Sonata

Like a big dinghy, but safe and fun. You'd get a good one for a lot less than 10k, leaving funds for a new sail or two, etc.

See http://www.sonata.org.uk/forsale/index.htm

As for build quality, a few years back the Southamption Boat Show Sonata had fallen off her trailer while in transit to the show. The side away from the crowds was badly scratched and scuffed, but on deck and below you would never have believed it had been damaged.

G

Good comments on the T24; I had a T27 for 8 years which tend to be available for the same money and are slightly faster....but...they really are too heavy for the rig they carry. A boat that gets you nicely along in moderate conditions when we mostly sail is more fun than a boat that comes into her own when the going gets tough.

How about the Pegasus 700, or the Seamaster 23?

KCA

Davydine

Visit site
Interesting! I had a look at C & C's web site. It looks as though most have either an outboard engine or a petrol inboard, neither of which would be my first choice when buying a boat of that size, but without seeing the boats it is impossible to say. I do know that the Leisure 23 is not in short supply so I guess people can pick and chose.

rob

Visit site
Have you thought of the Sadler 25, its 24'7'' long but it is a fantastic sailing craft in light airs and when the wind really blows. They are verystiff, and if the wind does get up this craft will go to windward, and will look after yourself and your family. They usually have inboard diesel engines. Prices are ridiculously cheep for such a well made and proven boat. Hope this widens your choice more. I suggest that you get in touch with Mike Lucas and ask him.

Regards Rob

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
What about a Motor Sailer?

Have you considered some of the small motor sailers?

Steadfast 24 : £12k – 19k
IP24 : £6k – 20k
Cox 22 £5K – 8k
Swin Ranger (22ft) £6k – 10k

I had a Swin Ranger for 17 years while the kids were growing, sleeps 4,
Long Keel + bilge plates.
If it leans more than about 15 degrees you are doing something wrong.
If its wet you can all stay in the cabin, not get claustrophobic and if you haven’t got an Autohelm you can steer from the wheel.