2008 Fairline Phantom 50

Noto

Visit site
Good afternoon , I have replaced a 3 way valve that works with the Seaward immersion heater.
The job went well but when I refilled the system the "Quiet Flush Electric toilets" are filling to the point of overflow and the manual for the boat does not show where the stop valves are , indeed if any are fitted ?
Would anyone have any knowledge of this type of problem as at the moment we cannot switch on the water pump,
The starboard toilet fills in approx 1 Minute.
Any help would be extremely welcome.
Many thanks NOTO

John100156

Visit site
Hi - I spoke to some people on FL Owners forum and they suggested because you have been working on the system some scale may have lodged in the seat of the two solenoid valves, they have known this to happen before even though its a rare occurrence that two SVs would be affected at the same time. Mind you, as they are filling at different rates it might be worth stripping one down to see if it resolves the problem and if so the other.

Hopefully others may help out with SV locations or better still a schematic....!

jfm

Visit site
There are no stop valves.

I can't think of a better answer than John's, to this very strange observation. I don't know what your 3 way valve is but it sounds like any dislodged crud from it would be in the hot water side of things, whereas the toilets are flushed with cold. Anyway its easy and cheap just to replace the two flush water solenoid valves so I would do that.

Seastoke

Visit site
Is not the three way valve an expansion valve coming off the clarifier. As far as the toilet goes , fit a standard 15 MM in line valve ,like there in every new house in the uk . Then you can use the pump while isolating the toilet valve and investigate the problem . As JFM stated the hot water does not go to the loo . So a photo of the valve you have changed and what make of loos do you have.

John100156

Visit site
Follow this link for a SV, although you can get cheaper if you shop around: Jabsco

As for the three port valve: without a schematic or tracing out the pipework, I am not certain what it could be used for, if close to the HW cylinder, possibly a Hot/Cold water pressure balancing or mixing valve, but I am only guessing.

Hope when you strip it/the valves down tomorrow you find the fault(s), nothing worse than having all heads out of action at the same time on a boat (OK of course there is, but it does come close ;-)

John100156

Visit site
Noto was successful after cleaning scale from one SV, as suggested, he installed two isolating valves and will tackle the second SV next time out, after descaling the system. I am sure he will respond to update once he gets back to the UK!

kashurst

Visit site
On the subject of fresh water flushing toilets. I am looking at converting mine to fresh water.
Do I need some sort of non return device in the pipe supplying the toilet?
TIA

John100156

Visit site
I didn't because we don't drink the tank water and treat it anyway every time we fill the tank, but to stop any back contamination it may be wise to do so. Check out the Jabsco link I posted in #5 above, expensive but it already comprises a non-return device (double check valve):
  • Double check valve to protect against contamination of potable water
  • Internal inlet filter

Noto

Visit site
Thanks to all who replied and assisted with my problem.
However as you said the heating system was not part of the calcium contamination. control;
I removed the toilet solenoid valves and both had what appears to be calcium fragments lodged in the small diaphragm shut off control.
This to me was firstly good news as I now saw the reason why water was flowing through when the switch was in the off position.
Alas , this was the cause alright but when reassembled within a minute of reconnection the water started to pass again.
I removed the solenoid valve again and sure enough more calcium deposits some quite large , the size of a paracetamol .
This time I flushed the water through the pipe work thinking this would clear any remaining deposits and also removed the filter on the sink tap and flushed through.
I refitted the solenoid assembly but still deposits were contaminating the diaphragms.
I repeated the operation 7 times on each toilet to no avail.
It looks like a complete water pipe flushing agent will be required to dissolve any contamination remaining in the system a task to be carried out on my next visit.
I will document the outcome for all to see and include the products used.
I will post pics on separate cover.

Kind regards
Lest
( NOTO )

Noto

Visit site
I contacted a company in the UK who manufacture and service heat exchangers. They advised that the hot water system is prone for build ups of calcium deposits but the cold system can also have similar issues especially when the system is not used on a regular basis. So on my return to our yacht I will be using a descaling additive to hopefully remove any deposits still in the system. I will confirm on the forum the outcome of this operation.
I intend to add the descaling product and form a closed circuit to the whole domestic water system and use a "water puppy " pump sited inline to circulate the product. If this is a successful method I will issue a basic sketch showing how this was achieved.
Obviously following any treatment to the water system will be followed by a thorough cleansing flush with clean water. I am fortunate to have mains water connected to our yacht which will assist the flush through.
I have on my previous 2 yachts installed mains water , which is quite an easy & simple task if you have the basics of plumbing or engineering knowledge.
Watch out for this and other information / products on my imminent web site.

I did install the inline isolation valves to the toilet's supply which has been extremely useful, I did have issues on my previous yachts and fitted many isolation valves, why boat builders do not not install on the build is beyond comprehension, so easy at the time whereas a retro fit can be sometimes awkward to say the least.
I will attempt to upload the pics but they were not attaching on my last try.
Thanks again for your valued comments.

I will be removing the fuel senders from the fuel tanks on my next visit and will forward my findings thereafter.

KR
Noto