2-pot paint

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
I´m planning to respray my GRP yacht with polyurethane paint. There seems to be four brands on the market; International, Hempel, Jotun and Awlgrip.
Every maker is as usual claiming that their product has the highest gloss, best durability and so on.
Is there anybody who have heard or experienced any quality differences between these brands or is it just a question of hunting for lowest prices?

And, honestly, have anybody done, or seen a fellow yachtsman doing an entirely satisfying paint job without spraying it on, using a brush or similar instead?

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Have used Awlgrip for the last ten years on a steel motor yacht, see my site for pics of boat. Gloss is still there after 10 yrs, very durable , but extremely expensive. spray application is the best and humidity etc needs to be watched, also Awlgrip standard fillers are extremely slow to cure in Europe, but have used sikkens and epifarnis fillers with total sucess on repair areas., eg fill & fare after welding in new exhaust pipe & up takes for new generator.Brus painting is possible, but not as good.

David

See my web site www.yachtman.co.uk

Guy

Visit site
I used Jotun ONE PACk polyurethane. International also do a ONE PACk poly. Because my paint was one pack, I could safely spray it. 2 pack polys have health and safety issues as you probably know. I couldn't get a good job using brush, hence I sprayed. A loy of work, but perfect result. (Above water line - I used epoxy below). I believe International or Interlux (The same company? - I get confused) do a one pack poly WITH TEFLON - I would try this next time.
I am happy with the Jotun - much cheaper than International, but not having used International, I would like to try their TEFLON one pack poly next - I have a suspicion it will be easier to apply with brush (the Jotun was very difficult with brush remember). So, summary, Jotun OK to spray, not to brush.
Regards