2 lines through a clutch

pete32

Visit site
I'm changing my reefing to a cockpit based set-up and plan to run 2 x 6mm lines through a single Spinlock XCR clutch for each reef. Does anyone have any experience of this working ok?

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
I have experience of it not working!

If the two lines will both fit through the hole, the two lines are a bit small in diameter for the clutch.... and then you are dependent upon them laying properly for the clutch to work.... if they sit on top of one another, then it doesn't hold at all well.....

I wouldn't want to rely on it....

Have you thought about splicing the two lines to a single larger diameter one?

pete32

Visit site
yes i thought about it but I can't see it working after the first reef. with the amount of rope that needs to come in it would be back to 2 lines coming through the clutch for 2nd and 3rd reefs. I may be wrong but that's how I picture it in my head!

So another 3 clutches it is!

pampas

Visit site
splice a "Y" at the right distance and then you have a single line to the clutch.or a block instead of a "Y" single from becket that way it will give a differential for the uneven pulls required. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

William_H

Visit site
I reckon that for the price of a clutch you are well on the way to buying another small winch. You only need a horn cleat then for good rope holdong. I reckon also that you need the 2 ropes individula for front and clew of the reef. I use a winch for each. I have 4 halyard winches at the back of the cabin roof even though it is a small trailer sailer.
Sure I bought them when winches were a lot cheaper but still I like it. olewill

pete32

Visit site
Thanks for all your points.

Frank - do you still have control over the individual lines and have you had it under a high load without slippage?

Cheers