12v gas solenoid

Shuggy

Visit site
I have a 12v solenoid on the gas system (fitted by a previous owner) which makes switching on and off the gas very easy, and also spares neighbouring boots from those awful early morning boxer short-clad dash across the cockpit to get the coffee on! Trouble is, it's started to overheat and, I think, as a result of that - has started to shut down after about 15 minutes of cooking. I can't find a replacement for it anywhere. Does anyone know where I might get one similar? Picture below:

5495003706_9dfaa8d772.jpg

Many thanks.

pvb

Visit site
There are lots of cheap solenoid valves around - see here for example. You don't need to pay the £80-£90 charged by marine suppliers.

Talulah

Visit site
I have a 12v solenoid on the gas system (fitted by a previous owner) which makes switching on and off the gas very easy, and also spares neighbouring boots from those awful early morning boxer short-clad dash across the cockpit to get the coffee on! Trouble is, it's started to overheat and, I think, as a result of that - has started to shut down after about 15 minutes of cooking. I can't find a replacement for it anywhere. Does anyone know where I might get one similar? Picture below:

5495003706_9dfaa8d772.jpg

Many thanks.

I bought a 12V gas solenoid and you could feel it warm up which couldn't be right. They're not meant to take much power.
A few weeks later it had stopped working. Presumably burnt out.
The solenoid came with a separate on off switch that had some electrics inside it. I assumed the contents was just to reduce the voltage for use of the led on the switch but I think I must have been wrong. It must of reduced the current to the solenoid as well.
When I originally fitted it I didn't like the switch it came with so I fitted my own. I now presume that was a mistake and I should have used the supplied switch unit..

Shuggy

Visit site
There are lots of cheap solenoid valves around - see here for example. You don't need to pay the £80-£90 charged by marine suppliers.

Many thanks - that is just the ticket. I have no idea how I managed to miss those in my googling. I've got one on order.

Shuggy

Visit site
I bought a 12V gas solenoid and you could feel it warm up which couldn't be right. They're not meant to take much power.
A few weeks later it had stopped working. Presumably burnt out.
The solenoid came with a separate on off switch that had some electrics inside it. I assumed the contents was just to reduce the voltage for use of the led on the switch but I think I must have been wrong. It must of reduced the current to the solenoid as well.
When I originally fitted it I didn't like the switch it came with so I fitted my own. I now presume that was a mistake and I should have used the supplied switch unit..

Mine is still connected to the original switch and has lasted for at least 6 years so I think that's not the problem - but the overheating sounds similar.

Shuggy

Visit site
My question is 'why are you using expensive CampingGaz when your locker appears quite able to take a 4.5kg Calor?' .......but then maybe you are filling the Camping cylinders from bulk like most others on here.:D:D

If your 'to do' list was as long as mine (maybe it is!) then you would understand that investigating whether I can get a 4.5kg cylinder in is pretty low down! FWIW, I think the locker's too shallow - but I'm happy to stand corrected. I've never put the two different types of cylinder next to each other. Thanks for the tip tho'...

mawm

Visit site
A solenoid will heat up with use as it after all is just an electromagnetic coil with current running through it.

They also use a fair amount of juice and if you run your battery down it will not be able to create a strong enough magnetic field to operate the valve. Maybe you should start with checking your battery if it is shutting down after 15min.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Commercial_Solenoid_Dawes_1920.png

Shuggy

Visit site
Thanks - but voltage is over 13 with fully charged batteries (which are allowing everything else to work ok).

mawm

Visit site
Then i can't help.

I've just fitted one to my boat and got it from a local gas and plumbing supplier (in NZ). It's the same as that sold in the swindleries but a bit (only just) cheaper. The difference was I could get the right size fittings for my small gas bottles.