12v Fan

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
I'm looking to putting a 12v fan in my GRP S/Y to keep the cabin slightly cooler during the Greek summer.

I get that these only blow hot air around and don't actually 'cool' the air so I'm relying on sweat evaporation (which I have plenty of), my question is, I've seen ones in chandlers for around £80 and I've seen them on eBay for around £12, is there that much difference to warrant a 6x costing?

Any experiences of the 2 would be much appreciated.

Thanks

eBay

image.jpg

Marine scene

image.jpg

macd

Visit site
+1 on the Caframo: reliable, effective, low power draw and the least obtrusive to fit and look at.
If you go for the Hella that TQA also suggests, buy one with a photo of a truck, rather than a boat, on the box: about half the price :ambivalence:

cmedsailor

Visit site
I live and sail in the Med so can answer from own experience. The biggest difference of the two is first the amp they draw and second the noise they make (all are noisy by the way, the “marine” ones probable slightly less). I have two cafrano 747 fans, one in the saloon and the other in the bow cabin. They draw very little amp and produce quite a lot of air. They were not very noisy when new, at least at low setting. I also have two hellas turbo fan, one in each stern cabin. I find them less noisy than the cafrano ones, but keep in mind that they are still relatively new. They also draw very little amp.

I don’t have an air-condition and really the only place I sometimes feel the need to have one is in a marina. But in a marina, meaning connected with shore power, I always use a small proper 240 volt fan (usually the box type). Quiet and just fine.

Whatever you buy make sure you also buy a small 240volt fan to use when connected to shore power. The noise is much, much less (even at home I prefer to use a fan to sleep during the night rather than air-con).

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
Thanks for the info guys, I don't mind paying for quality but just wanted to check I wasn't being greased up with a 'marine' specific.

I'll have a good hunt round for a Cafrano model of some sort, they seem to be of reasonable price of around £40 from a quick look I've seen.

Cheers

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
We bought two cheapo eBay truck fans when we set off, one in the galley, one in our cabin. Both were very noisy and not terribly effective and used a fair bit of electricity. Both are now gone. We now have a Hella fan mounted on a bit of plywood with a couple of large fishing weights attached which does duty as as a put it where we need it fan. It's great, quiet, uses very little electricity and moves a fair bit of air. Quiet enough to sleep by and frugal enough on the electricity that we can afford to run it overnight. Gets what you pays for. I've now opened a savings account for a second one....

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
We bought one of these at the boatshow (£300 boatshow offer). It will hopefully cool one cabin. It seemed very quiet and had low power draw. Only time will tell........!

http://transcoolgb.com/transcool-ec3-specifications/

It will be interesting to hear how it works, assuming you are likely to be using it in evening temps. around 30C. Might not be a fair test in Scotland. :D

It looks like an evaporative cooling unit and I discounted these for central med. as humidity can be pretty high overnight. I doubt it would cool much when humidity is high and evaporation rate will be low. It wouldn't be possible to seal a cabin and cool it in same way as with an air-conditioner. So use would be relegated to blowing cooler air over the bed at night with all hatches still open. Might still be worthwhile if it lets you get a good nights sleep when overnight temp is high.

Good to hear how useful it is, so will look for a report at end of summer.

Last edited:

Pavalijo

Visit site
It will be interesting to hear how it works, assuming you are likely to be using it in evening temps. around 30C. Might not be a fair test in Scotland. :D

It looks like an evaporative cooling unit and I discounted these for central med. as humidity can be pretty high overnight. I doubt it would cool much when humidity is high and evaporation rate will be low. It wouldn't be possible to seal a cabin and cool it in same way as with an air-conditioner. So use would be relegated to blowing cooler air over the bed at night with all hatches still open. Might still be worthwhile if it lets you get a good nights sleep when overnight temp is high.

Good to hear how useful it is, so will look for a report at end of summer.

We are setting off south in May, and whilst we have seen great weather for 2 of our 3 years in Scotland, we certainly wouldn't have bought it if staying there.
The humidity issue is a fair point - we hope that we will get some benefit in the Med when we get there, probably 2017 (unless the Spanish Rias slow us down). I think there is a model for more humid conditions on the Swampy website (USA).

A report will be forthcoming in due course.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
We are setting off south in May, and whilst we have seen great weather for 2 of our 3 years in Scotland, we certainly wouldn't have bought it if staying there.
The humidity issue is a fair point - we hope that we will get some benefit in the Med when we get there, probably 2017 (unless the Spanish Rias slow us down). I think there is a model for more humid conditions on the Swampy website (USA).

Don't rush the Rias, spend a season there or even 2. We spent about 1.5 season in Rias and liked it much more than France, Portugal or Balearics. It gets busier and more expensive the further you go past the Rias. I can't believe the number of people I've run into who sailed past in a few days with barely a stop. Only down side is the amount of rain at end of season and in winter.

macd

Visit site
I'll have a good hunt round for a Cafrano model of some sort, they seem to be of reasonable price of around £40 from a quick look I've seen.

That's not a bad price for the Caframo. Incidentally they're made in Canada and seem to be as cheap, and more readiy available, in the UK as anywhere else in Europe. I've had three over the years: excellent kit.
Most folk seem to prefer the version with no fan guard: the blades have a cushioned front edge, so won't do much damage if they clout you.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I use this 8 in. Soft-Blade Table Fan

a7f184dd-8e10-4a24-82f5-16adb0820e3a_400.jpg

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com

I spend my summers in the Adriatic based in a NE Italian marina within a lagoon complex, which is 3nm inland from the open sea. In my berth, late afternoon cabin temperatures from June on can be nudging 40°C, invariably above 35°C. and not much less during the early night hours. This makes it hard to sleep in windless conditions, especially as those are when the mosquitoes are particularly active, needing all ports and companionway to have fresh air-draught restricting netting.

True air-conditioning in these conditions is the only answer but cost and installation difficulties have prevented that to date. However, in 2014 I did buy a 240V evaporator cooler in Switzerland and fitted that in the cabin to try to make my time in the marina more supportable. It was less of a problem when cruising and anchoring as the temperatures were lower by the open sea and not always having such a mosquito problem when I could vent more air through.

I found the cooling unit would indeed lower the >30°C cabin temperatures .... by an average of 2°C. However, on balance, the extra humidity it generated made the discomfort level no less, probably more. After a month's trial the unit it was placed next to the rubbish bin - indicative of free for all - and it disappeared within an hour.

Trying earlier to buy such a device, local Italian stores had already told me they did not stock them as they are ineffective in our area and that they are only suitable with low humidity climates such as desert regions. They are consequently popular in the dry, higher altitude US states where they are known as 'Swamp Coolers'.