12V DC to 14V DC adapter - Do they exist?

Richard10002

Visit site

peterb

Visit site
I have a Maplin DC-DC adaptor with a DC input between 10 and 30 V and with DC outputs of 9.5, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18.5, 19, 19.5 or 20V. It comes with a range of output connectors fitting most laptops. Interestingly, the voltage selection appears to depend on the output connector; change the connector to match a different make of laptop and the output voltage alters automatically. On the 14V output it can give up to 6A output current.

GHA

Visit site
I wouldn't know what to do with that :(
Really easy :) boat power goes into one end, telly wires into the other, well marked. Get a mate with a meter to measure the voltage on the way out before you attach the telly and twist the little screw until it's 14v. Stick it in a cheapo plastic box and sit back with a beer to watch eastenders :)

charles_reed

Visit site
I have a nice Samsung 22" TV at home which we don't really use and I noticed that the AC adapter provides 14 V via one of the usual barrel type connectors.

It would be really nice to have it on the boat, but I've searched high and low, and can't find a 12V to 14V adapter. I actually have an adapter that has a regualated variable output, but its range is from 15V to 24V. I use it for laptop and netbook set at 19V.

Am I missing something, or do adapters with a 14V output not exist?

Would it harm the TV if I fed it with 15V, or would there be some kind of leeway, or protection, built in?

Help.

Richard

Try here http://www.powerstream.com/dcdc.htm
or @ Play.com

I've got a couple which input 12v and output 10-21v in various steps - 14v is unusual.

Richard10002

Visit site
Really easy :) boat power goes into one end, telly wires into the other, well marked. Get a mate with a meter to measure the voltage on the way out before you attach the telly and twist the little screw until it's 14v. Stick it in a cheapo plastic box and sit back with a beer to watch eastenders :)

Will it output the 14V, even when the input can vary from around 12.2V to 15.6V when charging? Or will the output vary with the input?

Richard10002

Visit site
Cracked it!

Someone was looking for a laptop supply on canalworld.net, and someone else had bought one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231049087456

One of the tips fits my TV. The adaptor lets you select several voltages, and the TV has been happily running on 12V for about 7 hours - so far, so good!

I could try at 15V but, as it seems to be working fine at 12V, I'll leave well alone.

Thanks to all for the input - I hope those who were interested see this.