12 volt Fridge power consumption!!!

Mirror Painter

Visit site
Lidl sell very strong shopping bags for about £1. You can put beer and wine in one and, (secured to the boat with string), have the bag in the water. Even in the height of summer the Thames will keep your drinks cold.

I've no idea how to keep food cold.

No Regrets

Visit site
A good cool box with some of those Ice packs, will keep food cold for around three to four days.

We use one on extended trips, to supplement the fridge, which is always on!

It also makes a handy seat!

Arnold68

Visit site
Hi Guys

I am wondering how long my fridge should run before it flattens my battery

I have a old 12 volt Electrolux fridge in the boat that I purchased last year, and have never used the fridge up to now.
Its fed from a new house battery which is rated at 120 Amp Hours, but the fridge flattens the battery within approx 10 hours if the engine is not running and charging the battery.
I did measure the current to the fridge on a multimeter and it was drawing approx 5 amps when first switched on, so i thought I would at leat get 20 hours use from it.

How long does you guys fridge run before flattening the battery?, or can you recommend a good efficient fridge

Cheers

Hope it can run around 10 hours and we need to choose an efficient battery.

oldgit

Visit site
" have the bag in the water. Even in the height of summer the Thames will keep your drinks cold."

Tut Tut......Bolly needs to be kept at a precise temperature. :)

No Regrets

Visit site
The other problem is with the risk of Rat-p1ss disease.

'Other boat comes past on the plane, your bag flounders then your drunken guests drink from the resultant wee-wee covered stock' :eek:

Ramage

Visit site
Sadly very true. There was a case of a chap who contracted Weil's Disease through drinking from a beer bottle. It is thought that rats had been in the pub cellar.

Also, one of Steve Redgrave's former rowing partners contracted Weil's Disease and died in less than a week.

Take no chances, Weil's is a killer and it is a truly horrible way to die.

Mirror Painter

Visit site
Ignorantly I did not know that Weils disease could be caught that way. I knew about cuts and so on but not that. I will also confess to hanging a bottle of wine on a string straight in to the river before.

You may have saved my life - thank you!

No Regrets

Visit site
Interesting, I looked it up thanks to you... :eek:

Level of Risk

About 40 people a year catch Weil's Disease in England and Wales. It can sometimes be fatal if not treated early enough. A handful of people have died of it in UK in the last 15 years.
Mostly it affects people who work in water treatment works, farmers or anglers (no loss there), but it is also a danger to rowers and canoeists. There have been cases on the Thames. We often see rats on the canal and river bank and we know that they readily populate farmland and urban areas close to the canal and rivers that we use.
In this country most cases of Weil’s Disease occur in the summer and early Spring. The main danger is on the bank, but you can get infected from the water. And it's most likely the infection gets into the body by cuts or blisters - but there's still a chance of infection if you drink from a bottle that's had river water splashed on it, or eat a sandwich half way through a trip without washing your hands.'

Taken from:

http://www.devizescanoeclub.co.uk/Static/DCC Weil's Disease Information Leaflet.pdf

So, Thank you too!!