10mm cable spade connector

scr0che

Visit site
Fitting a water maker, it requires 10mm cable, which should run into a circuit breaker, and then on to the water maker.

I'd like to fit a button circuit breaker in the control panel, but it comes with 2 x 6.3mm male blades - I'm not sure how to connect the 10mm cable to these, can anyone advise?

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Fitting a water maker, it requires 10mm cable, which should run into a circuit breaker, and then on to the water maker.

I'd like to fit a button circuit breaker in the control panel, but it comes with 2 x 6.3mm male blades - I'm not sure how to connect the 10mm cable to these, can anyone advise?

What is the current rating of the water maker ?

scr0che

Visit site
It's a Schenker Zen 30 - the manual states that it requires a 16A automatic circuit breaker for 12v systems, typical electric load is 110-160W continuous. Since my cable run is around 4-5m the manual states 10mm2 or 7 AWG cable.

Richard10002

Visit site
It's a Schenker Zen 30 - the manual states that it requires a 16A automatic circuit breaker for 12v systems, typical electric load is 110-160W continuous. Since my cable run is around 4-5m the manual states 10mm2 or 7 AWG cable.
As the 10mm cable is required for voltage drop, you could connect a short length of thinner cable at the breaker end, that would allow you to fit the appropriate spade connector. I think yellows take 6mm cable?

Ammonite

Visit site
When you strip back the 10mm2 cable, remove a few strands to make it 6mm2 cable, or is that too easy?
That's what I would have been inclined to do with a bit of heat shrink over the yellow insulator if needed. Is this not an acceptable solution?

scr0che

Visit site
Thanks all, I'll use a 10mm2 butt connector as suggested to get down to 6mm2 on the CB spades.

Something extra to add - I have a bus bar less than 300mm from the CB, 6mm2 straight onto the spade then from there up to 10mm2 and on to the water maker?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thanks all, I'll use a 10mm2 butt connector as suggested to get down to 6mm2 on the CB spades.

Something extra to add - I have a bus bar less than 300mm from the CB, 6mm2 straight onto the spade then from there up to 10mm2 and on to the water maker?

That will be OK.

If you have a crimping tool for them, i use uninsulated butt connectors for this type of job, this style: Copper Tube Butt Connector 10mm2

A couple of layers of heatshrink and they look very neat.

gregcope

Visit site
I like the idea of getting a 10mm2 cable into a 6mm2 hole by stripping strands as other solutions (bus bars etc...) introduce more connectors that could (if not perfect) introduce resistance and voltage drop.