10hp outboard and RIB

rigpigpaul

Visit site
Hi All, I plan on replacing my 2.8m airdeck and 2.5hp Yamaha with a 3m RIB and 10hp outboard. I want to start anchoring more or pick up mooring buoys. The new boat and outboard will give me more choice because I can anchor much further from the shore. I spend more time trying to squeeze those extra couple of metres to get closer to the shore. I want to buy an electric start outboard but the choice seems limited for 10hp. Any suggestions most welcome.
RPP

rotrax

Visit site
Is your boat equiped to carry a rib, engine, fuel tank and battery on davits? A fair bit of weight at the spec you require.

I find a 24KG outboard is too large to be lifted comfortably to and from the outboard bracket/transom. I made a lifting crane, used it all last year. MK2 model will be ready at the start of next season, eliminating a couple of minor faults.

The overhanging weight of a heavy rig on davits can affect the handling-and, as First Mate tells me, affects visibility going astern.

We had a rig like the one you are aspireing to, but found it too heavy. We now have a 2.6 airdeck with a 5HP Suzuki four stroke and an outboard crane.

A larger engine and an outboard crane might be a less expensive move, unless you have davits and a vessel that can cope with the overhanging weight of the complete rig.

Our dink is stored on the pilot house roof when not in use and the outboard on a side mounted bracket.

Serious offshore sailing is something I would not do with a dink, engine, tank and battery on davits.

Something is sure to come loose-or worse!

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
The majority of those we meet who live on anchor don't have ribs, they have airdecks. We have 2.9 inflatable with ply floor (55kgs) and 2 stroke 9.8 outboard (27 kgs). At anchor and smooth conditions , it all hangs from gantry but normally when underway engine is removed with crane. Changing it for a rib wouldn't alter where we anchor. Why do you need electric start when most engines start easily first pull and you will just be adding more weight?

alexsailor

Visit site
I have Zodiac 260 Rib and Tohatsu 2 stroke 9,8.
Two of us can “speed” 15kts. Makse sense since we can anchor in bay not so close to the town etc... where the crowds are...

We lift the Rib on deck, and engine seperatly on stern. It is a little bit heavy.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
Tohatsu do an electric start 9.8 hp But in your position I would buy the Tohatsu 15 as it weighs the same as the same as the 9.8.

Ribs are better than Aerodecks.

If tempted by an aluminium RIB do some research on the manufacturer and model first. There have been a number that have had serious issues at young ages.

rigpigpaul

Visit site
I will be retired by next April and will be cruising until October each year. My cruising areas will be Turkey and Greek islands, initially. I have a 42ft AWB. I have already bought a crane to store the outboard on the aft rail. I will tow the dinghy for short trips but stow it on the foredeck for longer ones. I prefer an electric start outboard so my wife can use it with her dodgy elbows. (someone has to go for the bread). Thanks for all your input.
RPP

RupertW

Visit site
I will be retired by next April and will be cruising until October each year. My cruising areas will be Turkey and Greek islands, initially. I have a 42ft AWB. I have already bought a crane to store the outboard on the aft rail. I will tow the dinghy for short trips but stow it on the foredeck for longer ones. I prefer an electric start outboard so my wife can use it with her dodgy elbows. (someone has to go for the bread). Thanks for all your input.
RPP

The unexpected benefit for us of getting a Torqueedo was that suddenly I didn't have to go shopping. The expected benefits were of course the much lower weight - both overall and that it breaks into 3 parts making passing the parts a one handed job - and that fuel was always available from ship's batteries. Agree with the foredeck as storage - davits on a boat with a walkthrough stern used in the Med or for anchoring generally has always seemed the height of awkwardness.