“Sod’s History of Yachting.” Andrew Spedding.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I’d like to thank whoever recommended this sequel to the finest yachting textbook ever written, “Sod’s Law of the Sea” but in the nature of a bulletin board, “the moving finger writes and having writ moves on” (Edward Fitzgerald, Deben Yacht Club, owner of the schooner “Scandal”, so called because nothing traveled faster out of Woodbridge) and, having forgotten which thread it was on, I cannot scroll back and find the thread..

It’s a jolly good book. A bit prolix, but worth reading if only for Sod’s characterisation of the varieties of modern yachtspeople and for Sod’s History of the America’s Cup...

lw395

Visit site
I don't recall recommending it, but I do have it.
I recall the cartoon 'An Owner taking his Gorilla for a walk'
Other than that, I recall it not being as good as Sod's Law of the Sea.
Although that sets a high bar IMHO.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Beancounter quoted the following from the original 'Sod's Law of the Sea' in the previous thread:

"...your actual average yachtsman spends:

a) 36.24 hours per annum sailing or motoring away from his mooring

b) 111.94 hours per annum preparing to depart or arrive at state (a)

c) 286.45 hours per annum purchasing equipment and discussing states (a) and (b)

d) 2,174 hours per annum working to pay for states (a), (b) and (c)"

Does the sequel update this to reflect the additional time now also spent on forums such as YBW? ;)

lw395

Visit site
Beancounter quoted the following from the original 'Sod's Law of the Sea' in the previous thread:

"...your actual average yachtsman spends:

a) 36.24 hours per annum sailing or motoring away from his mooring

b) 111.94 hours per annum preparing to depart or arrive at state (a)

c) 286.45 hours per annum purchasing equipment and discussing states (a) and (b)

d) 2,174 hours per annum working to pay for states (a), (b) and (c)"

Does the sequel update this to reflect the additional time now also spent on forums such as YBW? ;)
too true to be funny sometimes.
The sequel probably pre-dates the forum?

AndrewB

Visit site
To be honest, after the brilliance of "Sod's Law", I found "Sod's History" rather disappointing. Didn't keep my copy.

I still browse "Sod's Law" from time to time. Not just for the humour, but to remind myself what yachting was like 40-50 years ago. The sea may remain the same, but not much else has!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
To be honest, after the brilliance of "Sod's Law", I found "Sod's History" rather disappointing. Didn't keep my copy.

I was inspired by this thread to buy a copy of "Sod's History of Yachting" from Amazon. Not a titter. Not even a smile. In fact, sheer boredom has prevented me getting to the end of any page I have tried.

So, in the hope that it can find a more appreciative home, I will post it, free of charge, to the first person who cares to PM me their address for the purpose. The only condition is that if they find it funny they make an appropriate donation to the charity of their choice.

Skylark

Visit site
I also bought a copy, inspired by this thread. It was first published in 1977 which isn’t that long ago. However, the humour is of another era and I’ve yet to read any “laugh out loud” text. I’ll leave my copy at my marina “book exchange” when I visit next week to give my boat it’s monthly winter look-over. Hence free to any Clyde yachtsmen.

status

Visit site
I was inspired by this thread to buy a copy of "Sod's History of Yachting" from Amazon. Not a titter. Not even a smile. In fact, sheer boredom has prevented me getting to the end of any page I have tried.

So, in the hope that it can find a more appreciative home, I will post it, free of charge, to the first person who cares to PM me their address for the purpose. The only condition is that if they find it funny they make an appropriate donation to the charity of their choice.
I also bought a copy, inspired by this thread. It was first published in 1977 which isn’t that long ago. However, the humour is of another era and I’ve yet to read any “laugh out loud” text. I’ll leave my copy at my marina “book exchange” when I visit next week to give my boat it’s monthly winter look-over. Hence free to any Clyde yachtsmen.

I'm glad I am not the only one! The second hand book sellers must have wondered what was going on. Again, did not find it matched my humour. Michael Greene's effort I read time and again.