£9 boat in trouble

BlackPig

N/A
www.scottishensign.co.uk
Don't be too quick on this one. Put a keel on it for directional stability. It would work ok. It was the oar that let them down, not the boat. They would have been in the same situation if they had a £1000 mass production boat but still one oar.

lw395

Visit site
I want to know where you can get so much foam insulation board for nine quid?
It's about £50 for a 4inch thick sheet in Wickes....

BlackPig

N/A
www.scottishensign.co.uk
They were discussing this on Radio two yesterday J Vime show. I call it the ill-informed opinionated show. According to the info I got from it the two fishermen were not the most experienced mariners in the world. Non swimmers, no life jackets, no radio or anything. I assume they had a mobile to call for help. So sculling may have been out of their skill zone.

lw395

Visit site
They were discussing this on Radio two yesterday J Vime show. I call it the ill-informed opinionated show. According to the info I got from it the two fishermen were not the most experienced mariners in the world......

I think they were better fishermen than me though?
They caught something other than mackerel and kelp?

ronsurf

Visit site
The chap in your avatar seems to be sitting on a lifejacket with only one paddle. Did he get in the news? :p

He must have done as there's a photo of him. I find it a bit odd, the whole lifejacket thing. They weren't in the water, they were in a boat. It wasn't sinking, no one was at risk from drowning. They're a couple of dumbasses without doubt, but their problem was a lack of propulsion not the fact that their boat cost £9 or they had no lifejackets. Like I say, they were out the day before and survived, indeed, they probably had a great time. Perhaps they even had lifejackets then, but felt so safe they didn't bother with them the next day.
Must say, though, if they spent only nine quid on their boat, I'm intrigued to find out how much the oars cost!

Old Troll

Visit site
Wee 9ft Boat

Well it looks better than some of my first efforts at getting afloat as a kid

The locals would have been proud of this venture where I used to work in Africa and would probably have reached Madagascar in it. Are the RNLI now into destroying any craft deemed by them to be unseaworthy? Are they the sea police ? Do not think they should be involved in such deeds.

dogleg

Visit site
The locals would have been proud of this venture where I used to work in Africa and would probably have reached Madagascar in it. Are the RNLI now into destroying any craft deemed by them to be unseaworthy? Are they the sea police ? Do not think they should be involved in such deeds.

I suspect it was the local coastguard who suggested destroying the boat after the obligatory safety advice had been offered

A1Sailor

Visit site
The locals would have been proud of this venture where I used to work in Africa and would probably have reached Madagascar in it. Are the RNLI volunteers now into destroying any craft deemed by them to be unseaworthy? Are they the sea police ? Do not think they should be involved in such deeds.
I've fixed that for you. Most articles you come across nowadays includes the phrase "RNLI volunteers"...

Other threads that may be of interest