Yanmar spares prices. Another insight?

Halo

Visit site
Currently I am on holiday in Japan. An amazing place and about a different from the uk as you can imagine.
The only problem is that everything is mega expensive. Yesterday I paid £10 for 50 grams of honey in a street market. I expect if I translated prices in the uk to those here then this would be about the same ratio as normal engine parts to Japanese Yanmar parts.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
We're on Yanmar now and before that a Volvo - I think the Yanmar bits are the more expensive of the two, but to be fair you do seem to be able to get them most everywhere. I've always found consolation: -
For many years I've been a motorcyclist and lost count of the number of occassions that I've visited a bike dealers, asked for a necessary part, been handed a plastic widget, along with a request for £100+VAT and thought/said/screamed "How much!". But now we visit yacht Chandlers too, I feel much better about the cost of motorbike parts.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Currently I am on holiday in Japan. An amazing place and about a different from the uk as you can imagine.
The only problem is that everything is mega expensive. Yesterday I paid £10 for 50 grams of honey in a street market. I expect if I translated prices in the uk to those here then this would be about the same ratio as normal engine parts to Japanese Yanmar parts.

Great place though. We were lucky as friends lived there for more than 20 years and that made everything in Tokyo easy. Some things were very cheap. I bought a camera for about 1/2 UK price and could have had one not even available in UK but menus were still Japanese only.

Our friends also told us about things to arrange in advance, train, tickets to Imperial palaces and villas etc. The royal palaces were free but limited so we applied the day they were released. Foreigners get some priority in the "lottery" if over-subscribed and we got 2 out of three in Kyoto.

Have you hit politeness overload yet? We bumped into twins rom next door one day, about 3-4 years old. They looked at us and immediately bowed deeply in a reflex action. We tried to look serious and bowed back (not so deeply). The depth and duration of a bow is an art form. :D:D Must go back this year if we have time.

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site

Doesn't explain why Yanmar parts are 30 - 50% cheaper in the US ...

zulloboy

Visit site
Try and find generic equivalents for belts, filters, bearings, seals etc. I have done this for my 2GM and pay about 1/3 or less of OEM prices.

Cheers, Graeme

zulloboy

Visit site
Will do, but the bus fare to Oz will mean it might be cheaper to find your own suppliers over there in pommie land. Time for zzzz now but I will get back to you!

Cheers, Graeme

prv

Visit site
I am only just managing to buy enough food. The chances of finding a chandler let alone asking for a raw water pump or cylinder head gasket are about nil.

Managing as in prices, or as in coping with the unfamiliar environment? I was there for work a few months ago, and while arrangements were mostly made for us, on the occasions I had to fend for myself I was very happy with the prepared meals from Family Mart.

I still miss the curry doughnuts :)

Pete

zulloboy

Visit site
Here ye go shipmates:

Generic parts for Yanmar 2GM with Kanzaki KM2A Transmission

Filters:
Lube Oil Filter LF3462 Fleetguard
Fuel Filter FF5260 Fleetguard

KM2A Transmission:
Input bearing NSK 32005XJ OD ~ 49mm
Output bearing NACHI 07087Y OD ~ 53mm
Input seal NOK AC1314A ID 25mm OD 39mm
Output seal KOYO-OR Mh5A 30445 ID 35mm OD 55mm

CW Pump:
Bearings: NSK 6200ZZCM NS7S 605
Seal: NOK AEO279A

Halo

Visit site
Here ye go shipmates:

Generic parts for Yanmar 2GM with Kanzaki KM2A Transmission

Filters:
Lube Oil Filter LF3462 Fleetguard
Fuel Filter FF5260 Fleetguard

KM2A Transmission:
Input bearing NSK 32005XJ OD ~ 49mm
Output bearing NACHI 07087Y OD ~ 53mm
Input seal NOK AC1314A ID 25mm OD 39mm
Output seal KOYO-OR Mh5A 30445 ID 35mm OD 55mm

CW Pump:
Bearings: NSK 6200ZZCM NS7S 605
Seal: NOK AEO279A

Hi Zulloboy
Is the CW pump the coolant pump rather than the sea water pump. ? I need to refurb a coolant pump and any thoughts on this would be appreciated
Martin