Where are they now ?

G

As another suggestion for a JJ article, where are some of the famous yachts of the past?

I'm thinking of boats such as Clare Francis's "Robertsons Golly", Alec Rose's "Lively Lady" ( I understand it's in the Solent somewhere ), the monster that Taberly sailing in the Ostar in the late 70's, Ted Heath's "Morning Cloud" and even Dennis Conner's Rigid wing cat "Stars and Stripes".
However, these are boats from my youth, I'm sure other contributors could come up with a significantly different list..

I ask becasue if any have fallen into disrepair, I'm sure there could be someone with passion and a sense of history who might restore such craft.

The first one could be Teignmouth Electron ( Donald Crowhurst's cat) that I was told is abandoned on a beach somewhere.

Or am i the only one interested in this topic ?

G

I was surprised to read that "Lutine" is in a bad state in Gweek,Cornwall, but being repaired. I sailed on her some years ago, circa 1992

G

Re: Where are they now ? - \"Lively Lady\"

Sir Alec Rose's boat is now owned by a trust and has a berth in Port Solent. I believe she is available for charter.

Regards

snowleopard

Visit site
Not that Lutine

If you sailed her in 1992, I imagine you mean the Nic55 which Lloyds bought to replace the original yawl. I met the owners of the old one in Horta in 1994, they were planning to do a full restoration (they own a boatyard) judging by the condition of the classic they were sailing then, Lutine is in good hands.