What is this gorgeous creature?

tillergirl

Visit site
Unfortunately the helmsman, that's XO Gladys :devilish: , soaked me. Tucked the bow of the mobo into the back of a lazy wave, tossed it all into the air and the wind properly deposited all of it into the wheelhouse door, over me, over the camera, into the wheelhouse. I then landed 'sur le moteur' dans une heap!? You just can't get any staff. (Actually the image taken one wave before the soaking).

P1080129 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr

tillergirl

Visit site
I think it is a Sandwich Tern.

Great DT, wasn't that about LSD? Made me chuckle (and not much is making me chuckle at the moment). Larry (XO-Gladys) and I had been down to the Middle Sunk to hoover some data. Back home I discovered I found that I had lost 6 hours data of the primary data feed. The secondary data feed was still there but 'reeking of noise'. Two days of resurrecting 6000 soundings. Not a happy bear.

dunedin

Visit site
Seen on the Orwell today.

View attachment 122300

Certainly pretty looking boats the Spirit Yachts, and incredibly well made. But whilst above the waterline they look a bit like a Dragon or an old 8 metre, the purists would hate the fact that below the surface (in all respects) they generally abandon all that elderly stuff. No long keels but modern fin keels, and high tech.

A bit like a boating version of a Panther Lima (or they might prefer J72), Full List of Panther Models
or perhaps an e-Type lookalike with modern chassis and electric drive.
They have a place, but pure well built “retro” for people who like the cosmetic look but not the slow performance of the originals

Owning the Arcona (lower down the thread) and spectating somebody else’s Spirit day sailer might be my preference

Jan Harber

Visit site
What about a proper boat on a proper river? ;)

Image2 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr
I believe this may be ‘Gudgeon’ , a Milne design built Hamworthy 1920, originally named La Belle Poule according to my 1967 Lloyds.
At one time she was owned by David Blagden, an actor who gained sailing fame when he crossed the Atlantic in the Hunter 19 ‘Very Willing Griffin’ in the 1970s. Sadly he drowned some years later in a sailing accident in the North West, but I cannot remember if ‘Gudgeon’ was involved in that.
More recently she has been restored and is possibly now based in Mersea?

michael_w

Visit site
IMHO Spirit yachts are a horrible pastiche. Bow overhang too short, not enough spring in the sheer line, ridiculously exaggerated stern overhang. The cockpits are an ergonomic disaster.

Alfred Mylne knew how to do it properly
1631467992247.jpeg

As did Johaan Anker
1631467903736.jpeg

De gustibus non disputandum

tillergirl

Visit site
I believe this may be ‘Gudgeon’ , a Milne design built Hamworthy 1920, originally named La Belle Poule according to my 1967 Lloyds.
At one time she was owned by David Blagden, an actor who gained sailing fame when he crossed the Atlantic in the Hunter 19 ‘Very Willing Griffin’ in the 1970s. Sadly he drowned some years later in a sailing accident in the North West, but I cannot remember if ‘Gudgeon’ was involved in that.
More recently she has been restored and is possibly now based in Mersea?
Yes Jan, she is Gudgeon owned by Ross Wey who restored her and where she is based at West Mersea.