Welcome to Serbia.left

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I flew home from Greece to Sweden yesterday. As the aircraft took off from Thessaloniki I noticed some unusual behavoir while climbing. I am used to a steep climb to cruising altitude before levelling off with ears popping and all that. This time the aircraft levelled off not far off clearing the runway. Turns to port then starboard for a minute or two. I thought the flight was about to be aborted. I was extremely tired from the journey to Thessaloniki so groaned with the thought returning back there.

I got an sms message from Telia on my phone wellcoming me to Serbia giving me the usual tarifs and internet gb allowance. Holy smoke are we diverting to Serbia? Thankfully not, I was anxious to get home without delay.

The flight then settled down with no further concerns. The landing in Copenhagen was fantistic in thick fog. The first I saw of the ground from my window seat was as the wheels touched the runway with barely a nudge. It was obvious the crew were well above competance, the aircraft systems were working. The whole flight was impeccable. So what happened in Thessaloniki? How low must an aircraft be to be in range of a phone tower. The airline was Ryanair by the way.

I have often wondered what it must feel like to have a flight plan changed mid-flight. Must be very frustrating.

newtothis

Visit site
How low must an aircraft be to be in range of a phone tower.
I accidently left me phone in my hand luggage returning from Crete once. When I landed I had welcome messages from Turkey, Bulgaria, Croatia, Austria, Germany and Belgium.:oops:
GSM propagation is not that great, but in a plane you're only five miles from a cell tower and it's direct line of sight.

Gwylan

Visit site
Thessaloniki is (was) a frontline military air base of some significance to NATO.
It is also sensitive to the Greeks over the Macedonia question.
Did business there for a while.
Long time since I was there.
Have the facilities been improved? Only rivalled by Guatemala.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Thessaloniki is (was) a frontline military air base of some significance to NATO.
It is also sensitive to the Greeks over the Macedonia question.
Did business there for a while.
Long time since I was there.
Have the facilities been improved? Only rivalled by Guatemala.
The airport has had a makeover in the last year when traffic virtually stopped because of Covid. There are signs that indicate a new owner. Even has a burger-king. All new airport seats made from stamped metal. All the same design. None are therefore comfortable for more than an hour. Lots of new shops and lots not yet rented out. Toilets new and good. The tannoy system was very loud and repeated the taped luggage warning at 5 minute intervals. I will not willingly go via Thessaloniki again. My flight was at 0800 gate closed 0715 no nearby hotel so I spent all night squirming on a metal chair with a headache from the tannoy. Oh I almost forgot. A brand new airport bus (N1x) which had concertina extensions with lots of seats but no space for luggage. It stopped at every bus stop for local passengers who glared at any unfortunate who put his luggage on the seat. One euro for the hour long run to the airport.

Thanks for the opening for my rant Gwylan.